Monday 26 May 2014

Harvest Monday - 26 May 2014

For some reason the name "Petit Pois a la Francaise" sprung to mind when I was putting this post together. It's the name of a dish consisting of peas cooked with lettuce and onions, in a stock. No, I'm not going to give you a recipe for it (Mr.Google will help if you want...), it's just that I remembered the recipe as I was looking through the photos I had just taken. Photographs of peas happened to be next to photographs of lettuce. So that's the way I'll present them here...

This is my entry for Harvest Monday this week. To be honest, the harvest has been pretty thin, consisting mostly of lettuce (if you discount the herbs, of course, which are more or less a Given). But what was lacking in quantity was amply compensated for in terms of quality. This is a GOOD-LOOKING lettuce!

"Cervanek"

So good in fact that it got picked...


And eaten...



There are plenty more where that came from.

Lettuces - mostly "Devin" and "Cervanek"


Lettuces "Green Oak Leak" and "Marvel of Four Seasons", and tiny Endive in the foreground



In the foreground here is lettuce "Can-Can".

Reminds me of trying to squeeze into a T-shirt I wore 10 years ago!

I think that next week I may be able to report having eaten the first few peas.

8 comments:

  1. All those lettuces look so nice. I'm disappointed in one of my lettuces. Usually it is my favorite variety, but this year it is bitter for some reason. I know we have had a love of temperatures swings this spring, but none of the other lettuces are bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, that last photo did make me chuckle, we've all been there. The lettuce looks very tempting, we don't eat a lot of salad in our house, but they look very appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking lettuce indeed! Everything looks wonderful and healthy in your garden! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lettuce looks fantastic. I'm missing good lettuce right now, what's left in my garden is bolting and the new plants that I finally managed to get started aren't even in the ground yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice lettuce and peas. I have pretty much the same veggies growing in my Idaho garden! Lettuce are prolific this time, I'm picking more snow peas and shelling peas are doing well. I'm a new follower of your blog. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla; welcome aboard! I hope you are better at growing peas than I am. Mine always seem to do poorly, and often get mildew.

      Delete
  6. I think we have had fresh lettuce every day for the last week or so. We haven't been picking the whole head just a few leaves at a time. Like Jo the last photo made me chuckle, my peas a way off yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lettuce! I sometimes have a hard time harvesting veggies that I think are too pretty.. silly, I know. You're eating what I'm eating here in SC.. peas and lettuce, which I find strange since you are far, far away!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.