Saturday 23 April 2016

Wild Garlic Pesto

In my garden I have a small (but spreading!) patch of Wild Garlic. It's now in its third year and big enough for me to feel justified in taking a small harvest from it.









This stuff is pretty powerful, and a little bit provides a lot of flavour. Jane is not keen on it - she finds it too harsh - so I decided I would make something with it that could be kept separate and eaten just by me - Wild Garlic Pesto.


This is what you need: a large handful of Wild Garlic, some pine-nuts (about 30g), some Parmesan cheese (about 35g) and about two tablespoons of Olive oil. [None of the quantities are critical.]



The method is simplicity itself - put all ingredients in a food-processor and blend for about a minute, or until the desired consistency is achieved. This is the end result:




As I said, a little of this goes a long way, so I transferred mine to an ice-cube tray and froze it, so that I will be able to use it one cube at a time if I want.


Here's one idea: A thick slice of sourdough bread, toasted on one side, then the other side spread with some of the Wild Garlic pesto and topped with sliced tomato and cheese. Grill for a minute or two, until the cheese melts. Does that sound OK?



10 comments:

  1. I like wild garlic pesto. I'm hoping in time to use some of my hazelnuts instead of pine nuts. Your pesto is a lovely shade of green, very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double yum! I want to get some wild garlic (we call them ramps) into the garden, but the only way to get plants is to find them at a farmers market. I'll be keeping an eye out this spring for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a garlic fan Mark. Your pesto looks wonderful! I have made pesto from my cut garlic scapes that past few years. That is a treat for garlic lovers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, that looks delicious, I'm going to try it. I know a wonderful place locally that has lots of Wild Garlic, just need some pinenuts then we're away. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazing! I bought a pot of wild garlic at a plant fair today and I hope I'll be harvesting leaves in 3 years time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the tastiest thing ever!

    Which brings me to my next point, have you (and Jane) considered doing little garden tours now you're retired? Or how about once or twice a week, you do a two person mystery supper club......might be something to consider to keep you out of trouble and off the streets! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strong a garlic taste does it have?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could find wild garlic round here .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.