Wednesday 27 August 2014

Horseradish

The other day when I was out foraging I found some patches of wild Horseradish. It's easy to spot because of its very distinctive leaves.


I suppose this Horseradish is feral rather than wild... Nevertheless, on a foraging trip something like this is fair game, so I did stop to dig some up, because I know Jane loves Horseradish sauce. I hate the stuff!


It looks most unprepossessing at this stage, but Jane assured me it would be great.


As you can probably guess, I planted one piece (the little bit on the left in the photo above) in my garden. I'll probably live to regret this, because Horseradish allegedly spreads rapidly.

On Saturday night Jane made a dinner with roast beef, which was an ideal opportunity for her to try making Horseradish cream. My role was to prepare the Horseradish, while she whipped some cream.

You treat it just like fresh Ginger - peel the rough skin off, and then grate the white inner part of the root:


Horseradish is pretty pungent, so you don't need much.


The grated root is then added to the whipped cream, and "Voila"... Horseradish Cream.


Good with roast beef. Allegedly....

6 comments:

  1. Horseradish can be grated and stored for a long time in fridge/freezer. I've seen people use it with vinegar, with beets or plain. Not a huge fan of it, but I do put a leaf into a jar when making cucumber pickles for a tad of spiciness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. evil suff ~ once got told horseradish was bread sauce , didn't I get a shock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love horseradish. I ought to have it in the garden, but like you I hear it spreads. I might have to get a pot to put it in. I've never used it with cream though. My horseradish sauce always starts with mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new thing for me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a patch of horseradish on the plot that we have never used as horror tales bout it pit is off. People often think we are growing dock/ Do be careful where you plant it as not only does it spread but once established the roots are very thick and deep and it is almost impossible yo be rid of. If you can severely restrict it,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love horseradish but the wife hates it. I use it in cream sauce for roast beef and it is also used in seafood cocktail sauce made with ketchup and lemon juice. And good with mustard on corned beef and any New England boiled dinner. Apparently its hotness is caused by exposure to oxygen when grated, so brands of commercial horseradish vary in hotness based on their skill at grinding it. I grew up in St. Louis which hosted the commodity exchange where horseradish futures were traded. The area of Illinois east of St. Louis was a major growing region and the International Horseradish Festival is held in Collinsville, Illinois every year, and features the Miss Horseradish Pageant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.