Monday 18 August 2014

Harvest Monday - 18th August 2014

This past week the weather has been most "unseasonable" - in other words, cool, wet and windy. Not like August is supposed to be. In fact it seems as if Autumn has come already. Still, looking on the bright side of things, I have had to do less watering of plants than I was doing a couple of weeks ago!

And despite the poor weather, I am continuing to get some nice harvests:


In the basket this time are Runner Beans (including some lovely long straight ones), Lettuce (this one is "Green Oak Leaf"), Tomatoes and Chillies. Here's a close-up:-


Normally at this time of year I would be showing off huge baskets each with a couple of kilos of tomatoes, but this year the harvest is small (and a bit weirdly-shaped in some cases), but at least I do have some tomatoes. This is one crop without which I would consider my veg-plot to be incomplete.


In the middle of the week I picked some more Blueberries and a few Raspberries. This tub contains just over 300g.


It has not been good berry-picking weather. It takes a long time to pick Blueberries because they all ripen at different times and you therefore have to pick the berries individually and carefully. It seems that whenever I think about going out to pick some berries the heavens open and another torrential deluge comes down. At least there have been no problems with their pots drying out! At the weekend I finally knuckled down to the job and picked another 700g of berries:


The berries always look much riper when they are on the bush than when you bring them indoors! I realised that many of the ones I had picked were not 100% ripe, so I sorted out the best ones for eating raw and made the rest into a compote. This means simply that I put them in a pan with some Sweet Freedom sweetener and heated them gently for a couple of minutes until the skins burst. I then poured in a splash of Grand Marnier and left the compote to cool. They will be great with some ice cream, I think.


As recently reported, I am still harvesting potatoes. This is the yield from another pot of "Nicola" - 745g. One of the tubers (six-o-clock position in photo) is a bit green from having been exposed to light, so I may have to discard that one, or at least peel it very thickly.


These are Jalapeno Chillis and two types of Sweet Pepper - "King of the North" (the pointed ones) and my so-called "Turkish Sweet Pepper".


The Jalapenos have gone into the freezer (we like to have some green ones available as well as some ripe ones), and Jane is eating the Peppers in lunch-time meals. She likes them with tuna, which I can't stand, so she eats it when I'm out at work! She prefers green ones to red ones.

This is my contribution to Harvest Monday where no doubt you will be able to read about all manner of other lovely veggie harvests.

16 comments:

  1. I'm always envious of every one elses blueberries. They grow wild where I live, but don't seem to want to grow in my garden at all. We had half our plants die last winter. I've decided t replace them with flowers as we need more flowers in our yard anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That compote looks wonderful. Nice harvest Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely harvest pictures, jealous of those blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm exactly the same with tomatoes, they're the thing I enjoy growing the most so it would be unthinkable to be without. Nice blueberry harvest, we had blueberry pancakes for breakfast again yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The compote will be so good with ice cream! Your harvests are wonderful... I hope I can come up with something like your posts in the cooler months. As of now the rains, the slush, and the mosquitoes make gardening near impossible. Always inspired by your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely harvest and the way you display the veggies is just beautiful, Mark. Your labor has paid off handsomely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is a pepper in the 3rd picture? Red, small and oblate with a pointed end? It's placed under the 6 small black and red tomatoes. This pepper looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dewberry; the pepper in question is a "Piment d'Espelette" - but it is definitely NOT typical of its type. It is normally longer, and thinner - much more like the "King of the North" ones in my last photo - and the distortion is clearly the result of the problems I have had with compost contaminated with weed-killer. Also, the tomatoes you refer to are "Tiger".

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous tomatoes & peppers. I'm still waiting for that first ripe, red pepper - it's taking a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like your pics Mark. You show your crop every time with a perfect photo book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure that picking berries in the rain didn't help, I would be quite impatient to just get the job done and not so careful to inspect each berry. They are lovely and I'm sure the compote is fabulous with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We almost seem to be preparing the plot as though the growing season is ending.

    I'd love to know how I could increase my blueberry harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, your berries look SO GOOD! Everything looks beautiful! My peppers seem to be taking FOREVER to turn color so I'm feeling a bit jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, yes. In order to outsmart my villanous furry not-so-friends I have taken to harvesting my blueberries this same way. (Of course only months ago now, LOL) I found that if you leave the not as ripe berries on the counter over night they will be ripe normally in the morning. I've not had any loss this way, well except little fingers of my little people. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful harvests! Compote seems like the perfect way to use berries that are not quite ripe. Our blueberries are winding down now and we are battling with the birds to harvest. I have picked some partially ripe and like tomatoes, they do continue to ripen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.