Monday 25 August 2014

Harvest Monday - 25th August 2014

The harvest this week has been "bountiful" - lots of different good things have come into the kitchen...


In that basket there are a "Predzvest" cabbage, some Runner Beans, three "Boltardy" beetroot, some Scarlet Empire" Runner Beans, and small selection of various tomatoes.


And of course I got some more potatoes. These are "Nicola" again (800g from one pot).


Here they are after washing. They are just as smooth and unblemished as ever.


I'm very proud of these carrots too. No Carrot Fly damage at all. The solitary "Iznik" cucumber is less impressive though.


The tomatoes are "Ferline", and there are two types of chilli - mostly "Nosferatu", but the big one is "Ohnivec". Here is the same selection in scrubbed-up form:


I can't say which varieties the Carrots are, but there are evidently at least two different ones here:


later in the week I pulled another batch of "Boltardy" Beetroot. These were roasted along with some shallots and Thyme, as an accompaniment to roast beef.


These are the "Nosferatu" chillis. I am going to dry these ones and save the seeds for next year.


I managed to assemble about 180g of Raspberries too. Not as many as I would like, but when combined with some Blueberries from the batch I had picked the previous weekend, it was sufficient for a nice dessert for us both.


Looking back at all this, I feel very smug! It feels so satisfying to bring in such a varied harvest. It makes all the hard work at other times of the year seem so much more worthwhile.

17 comments:

  1. Did you get your harvest in before the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Yes, mostly. I had been intending to pick more Blueberries today, but it's been raining steadily so that job will have to wait for another occasion.

      Delete
  2. The cabbage is amazing, sadly all my Brassica veg, namely the kale and broccoli have been got at by the pests - blinking white cabbage butterfly, next year I will def. be using netting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should feel smug. You had some really great harvest there. I have not really kept track of mine this year but it has mostly been tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should feel smug, those carrots look almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserve to feel smug - must remember to dig up some beetroot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and varied harvest. I really like that cabbage, hope it is as perfect as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You truly did get a lovely variety of vegetables this week. I love the color of the beets, so intense. All your gorgeous potato harvests make me want to grow some, even though I'm not a fan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some really lovely harvests this week. And so varied too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Envious of the beetroot. I did not plant any this year and wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still can't get over your potatoes this season. Beautiful harvests. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful harvests and beautiful photos, too, Mark! I'm wondering now what you cooked with all those carrots, spuds, beetroots and cabbage! Your tomatoes look huge - mine are all small and unripe still although I dare say that today's deluge of water will probably split them. Time to rethink for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very impressed!! and a little jealous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking harvest Mark. Roasted veg is my favourite at this time of year, particularly beetroot and carrots just chopped up, skin on into a tray along with shallots, whole garlic cloves and a few pieces of chorizo - very quick to prepare and an hour or so in the oven, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, you have every reason to be proud of such a varied and love harvest. Those potatoes really look perfectly formed and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those harvests are lovely, esp. the potatoes...they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.