Monday 4 August 2014

Harvest Monday - 4th August 2014

The bulk of my harvest this past week has been formed by tomatoes and cucumbers.


Tomatoes "Maskotka" and Cucumbers "Iznik"

Just after I photographed those tomatoes and cucumbers I remembered I had also picked beans, so here they are together:-

Runner Beans "Scarlet Empire" and French Beans "Cobra"

A couple of days after the above I picked another basketful of various types of tomato:

31st July

The big pink/red one in the 12-o-clock position is the first fruit from "Fish Lake Oxheart". It weighed 318 grams. The other big one (9-o-clock position, green shoulders) is another "Larisa", weighing 221 grams.


There are a couple of weirdly-shaped "Orkado" in there too, one with a very pronounced nose:


More tomatoes...

2nd August


There was another lot of potatoes too. These are the "Nicola" ones I wrote about last Wednesday:


Most of my work in the garden at present involves ether harvesting (a welcome activity) or protection against pests (a chore). I have done a fair bit of re-arranging of netting these last few days, since the Strawberries no longer need any, and the PSB is getting tall and needed its net raised up on taller poles. At least the white butterflies have been kept at bay so far!


This is my contribution to Harvest Monday, hosted as ever on "Daphne's Dandelions", where I'm sure you will find lots of other goodies on display...

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful tomatoes, I love all the shapes and colors. Makes it for very colorful meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes seem to be ripening well. I'm only harvesting cherry tomatoes so far, the larger varieties are taking some time to ripen, though I've noticed a couple now on the turn so it shouldn't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curiously, I think the compost issue has persuaded the plants to ripen their fruit earlier. Right at the beginning of August I wouldn't expect many fruits to be ready yet.

      Delete
  3. Your harvests look great. I'm glad the tomatoes are at least giving you something after your compost problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't complain about those tomatoes, beautiful harvest and interesting varieties.. I have been picking mine when they show some color because of the bird attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tomatoes. I really wish mine would hurry up - I am only getting one or two a day so far and I want MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very few tomatoes yet for us - just Sungold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely tomatoes. I'm still waiting on most of mine, but the cherries and one small fruited variety are starting to ripen. I'm amazed at how many potatoes you've harvested this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That oxheart is a beautiful tomato. Is it low acid?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tomatoes! I had one with a "nose" just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes are amazing! How many plants do you have? I know you've had problems but that is a great bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have twenty tomato plants this year - mostly one of each type. The yield is nowhere near what I had hoped for - much lees than in previous years - but you know the reasons behind that.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.