Tuesday 7 February 2012

Frozen Veg

I'm re-publishing this post, so that I can enter it for Harvest Monday over at Daphne's Dandelions
I haven't had much of a harvest this week, and the reason is shown below...

*****************************************************************************

The temperature here is very cold still: about -10C at night, and hovering just above zero during the day.
The snow at the weekend was sparse and very short-lived here. A centimetre or so that disappeared within 36 hours - not like the start of 2011!



The soil, though thawing now, has been frozen hard, even under the cloches. This is not a time for gardening! Nor is this even a time for digging the plot. The soil would be very hard to dig. It's best to just wait for warmer times and let Nature do its thing. Actually a good hard frost can be a benefit to the soil, because it tends to promote the breaking-down of the bigger clods into smaller "crumbs", which will make a better texture for air and water retention later on.

I don't have many veggies left growing in my garden now, and those that remain are in a state of suspended animation. These photos were taken at the weekend:

Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Red Cabbage

Flower Sprout

I haven't been able to pick any salads or greens for about a week now. This is why:

Swiss Chard

Perpetual Spinach

Catalogna Chicory

My pots of Wallflowers were in a similar state:

Wallflowers are members of the Brassica family - a hardy bunch - so they will probably survive.
When the temperatures rise again the hardier ones, like the Purple Sprouting Broccoli, may just de-frost and carry on, but I suspect that the softer ones like Endives and Chicory, may not recover.

There was a time when I would have brought my two potted Bay trees into the garage when the weather was like this, but these days they are so big and heavy I couldn't lift them, so they will just have to take their chances out in the open. Actually they will probably be all right as long as we don't get strong winds at the same time as cold temperatures. When cold and wind combine, Bay trees often suffer badly. Their leaves go brown and fall off, and in extreme cases the plants themselves may die.

Bay

25 comments:

  1. Your photos are becoming quite marvelous with that new lens. Your sprouting brocolli will be fine, and in fact, will be even better from what I have learned. Better tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably know about this already - but, in case you don't,

    http://blog.wahaca.co.uk/2012/02/send-us-your-chilli-plant-photos-and-be-part-of-the-wahaca-cookbook/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Mark - I'm very envious of your PSB and must remember to grow some this year. I've brought my lemon tree upstairs (lugged up two flights in its pot, it's about 5' tall!) but my bay tree is just a nipper, bought last summer, so it's under fleece, also on my balcony. It seems that you have a much harder frost than we have - I hope all will be well in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow photos to say the least. Do you harvest your bay leaves? If so how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures again Mark, I wouldn't mind the third and fourth as wall art! I wanted to dig some leeks up at the weekend - no chance - quite disappointed that I had to buy veg for our Sunday Dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther, thanks for the info about the Wahaca search for photos - I've sent in a few of mine, so you never know, I might get one in their book...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plummy Mummy; Yes, I do harvest Bay leaves frequently - but not from the ornamental ones. I just pick one or two leaves whenever required, because I like fresh ones a lot more than dried ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos Mark - all that crisp frost, gorgeous!
    We've still got about an inch of snow up here in Derbyshire. I did manage to harvest some leeks and a frozen cabbage for tea on Saturday before the snow got too deep, but I couldn't find the parsnips as they were already covered! I suspect the spinach and chard may be done for, but I have high hopes for the purple sprouting and the sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your frozen brocolli is the first I've ever liked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the Bay leaves look extra special with the frost on them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a while since I've been to the allotment, though we've still got snow here so I'll wait until it's gone before I go and see if there's any casualties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that red cabbage looks like Audrey Two! Nice photos. Our garden is still coveted in frosen snow. Very thick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark, such pretty frosty pics of your veggies! I hope the hardy varieties pull through. You've had quite a few days of the cold stuff! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad, but part of gardening at times...

    On a positive note, I'm so glad to find your blog! I think I will be able to learn a lot from you. I'll be stopping by often.

    Warm wishes from Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent pics! Excuse me while I go run outside and rescue my lettuce seedlings from the night chill...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mark, you photos are awesome. My favorite is the one of broccoli head -the first image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The red cabbage shot is fabulous. I do feel sorry for your chard though - It looks to be longing for warmer climes. Hope you thaw soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And once it thaws again our soil on the plot will go back to being boggy! So as you say not the time to dig or even tread on it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! I hope you manage to save some of the vegetables x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That first shot looks like a diamond encrusted brooch - most of my veg is in the same state as yours - some of it looks as though it's not going to pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you get some fresh greens. We had unexpectedly cool weather here for summer suddenly in Feb which usually are very warm. I like the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful photos; love the first one, the frost looks like flower buds ;-) Most things will survive I think but you are right, wind and cold are a bad combo for many things.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful winter garden pics. We had our deep free about three weeks ago and luckily it did not last but a few days. We are moving into our usual gradual launch into spring and the soil is actually in a good workable state at the moment when I can catch it during a dry down after our frequent winter rains. I hope the hardier items perk up after the thaw and give you some more harvests yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.