Wednesday 1 February 2012

Ferns full of potential

I have a couple of potted ferns, to which I have become quite attached. This is surprising really, since they acquired me rather than the other way round. I have had the older of the two for several years now (maybe 10?). It just appeared one day, as a very tiny little seedling. It has gone on to produce several offspring of its own, and it got so big that I divided it into two and re-potted it in the Autumn of 2010. The offspring have been planted out in the border. Right now they are resting:




They don't look very impressive at present. I have cut down all last year's foliage, so all that you can see is a a couple of rather scruffy brown lumps. They have both developed a similar shape. At one side are the dessicated bases of last year's leaves, while at the other are the well-rounded bumps from which new leaves will emerge in a couple of months' time, unrolling like coiled springs. Each bump is well protected from the cold by several layers of reddish tissue, vaguely reminiscent of the outer layers of skin on a dried onion.




I have left the leaves on the smaller plants growing in the border, in order to provide them with some protection from the elements. Unlike the moveable pots, they can't be tucked into shelter against the wall of the house.




Until fairly recently I wasn't very fond of ferns, but I've changed my mind. As long as you are not looking for gaudy flowers they have a lot to offer. High on the list of their advantages is the fact that many types of fern enjoy dry shade. I'm sure many people have patches of dry shade in their gardens and can't think of anything to plant in them, so ferns are a possibility worth looking into. They also seem to need next to no maintenance, and can easily be propagated by division. This type of mine seem to self-seed pretty readily too, so in a couple of years you can get quite a decent patch of them without having to spend loads of money. Ferns also come in many different shapes, sizes and colours, so there's something for everybody.

9 comments:

  1. I love ferns especially as they start to unfurl! We have lots of them. Lots of different varieties - some self seeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ferns are lovely, but here in Florida, snakes love them as much as humans, so I don't have them anymore close to the house. Have you ever tried one inside in a pot? I have a lovely fern stand (antique) but ferns don't live long inside as a house plant for me. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ferns. I've got a little patch of a fernery here near the house and it does so well it is like a jungle. Can't grow anywhere else though it's really too hot and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love ferns but they don't seem to grow well in pots for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egretta; I have not grown ferns indoors myself, but I remember that when we lived in Malaya (where it was very hot) my Mum used to have success with growing Maidenhair fern indoors in pots. That might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iv'e got quite a few ferns growing in my garden as I back on to a big field near the moors. Recently I wondered about composting them, after googling them I read that it makes great ericacious compost when mixed with horse manure. Hehe might have a forage for more in the woody wood peckers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never grown ferns but I've grown to like them more over the years. I like how they unfurl, fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one fern which grows at the side of my wildlife pond - it just looks so natural there that I hardly notice it - so with your prompting I'll go and see how it is getting on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fern fan, I love the architectural qualities, the year-round interest, the variety. I'm also envious of your macro lens... Great details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.