Tuesday 15 September 2015

When is a mushroom a toadstool?

At this time of year I often go up to nearby Velmead Common to photograph fungi. On Sunday afternoon I spent a couple of hours strolling round the common with my camera poised.

I'm no expert on fungus-identification, but even I recognize this one. It's Amanita Muscaria, "Fly Agaric", isn't it? A mushroom, or a toadstool? The latter, I think. Definitely not edible.


The Common was much drier than it normally is at this time of year, and it was easier to get round. Sometimes it is very boggy. Nevertheless there are still a few pretty big puddles:


There are lots of patches of big Pine trees, under which there is little undergrowth.


Little undergrowth, maybe, but loads of fir-cones:


Many species of fungus seem to enjoy this as a habitat, and you will notice that many of my photos show fungi pushing up through the litter of pine twigs and cones.


But there are also areas with thick vegetation - young Pine trees, Birch saplings, heather, gorse and bracken.


The Heather is mostly "over":


But the Gorse flowers almost all year round:


There were lots of Blackberries - and I noticed several people picking them. No problem: there's enough for everyone!


The little herd of Highland cattle were looking very healthy, their coats long and shaggy:


But my interest was primarily in the fungi, so let me show you some of the photos I took. Don't ask me what type they are though. [Warning - there are lots of them!]




















































OK, get the message? There were lots of different fungi to be seen! One day I'll get round to fixing a proper "Fungus Foray" with a real expert, because I reckon there must be lots of edible types out there. If only I knew which was which...

13 comments:

  1. Those are a lot of mushrooms. Not many around here right now with all the dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a lovely place to visit, and indeed, strolling around with the camera.
    I love that autumnal feel and smell when the mushrooms/fungi are popping up from under a blanket of leaves or grass... I can just imagine the heavenly scent now.
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen many around near our place, but maybe I haven't been looking yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of your pictures show the Russula.
      The burgundy coloured one would be Russula emetica and a similar yellow one probably a Russula ochroleuca.
      I used to have these in my garden in Belgium.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think fungi are great photography subjects. I'm fascinated by them but don't know much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got quite an assortment there. I like mushrooms but store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea those red mushrooms with white spots were a real thing. I thought they were just in cartoons. So cool to see one "in the wild."

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father used to enjoy foraging for mushrooms, it put me off when preparing them one day & they were full of little maggots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark, might it be easier to learn to identify the poisonous ones? Here in California there are only two that are poisonous. (I don't know about the fungi where you live.) It's so dry here I haven't seen any at all & I live on the edge of a National Forest. Love your posts & your garden. Sandy L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy; No it would be very difficult to learn just the poisonous fungi, because there are literally thousands of types. Among those there are maybe 1% that are edible, and very few that are actually palatable as well.

      Delete
  9. Love the fungi pics! So many varieties. It's always nice to stop and notice the little stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos Mark, I love that kind of mixed habitat, lots of interesting wildlife. I have friends who would probably know what all the different mushrooms are but only know a few myself. Definitely wouldn't pick any to eat unless I was with a proper expert, some of the edible ones are v similar to poisonous ones. But I do enjoy seeing fly agaric around - beautiful to look at but don't touch of course :) Having said that I would probably eat puff ball or jelly ear as they're pretty obvious. I did try puffball a long while back but didn't cook it very well and it just soaked up loads of oil, yuk. Probably better in an omelette or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, before I rambled on, I meant to say that I like the way you enjoy the mushrooms without knowing what each one is...I'm like that with a lot of things!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.