Monday 27 May 2013

Asparagus and Radishes

My harvests this past week have been of the same veg as the week before - Asparagus, Radishes and Baby Leaf Salad. The Broad Beans or Peas will be next, but they are both still a long way off. So for the time being then you have to look at more photos of the same things!

I have harvested 11 more spears of Asparagus. It's not very many, I admit, but there is more to come, and it is just SO satisfying to be able to eat Asparagus you have grown yourself.


More Asparagus is coming on...


I haven't counted the Radishes, nor weighed them. I just know we have eaten several batches. We usually eat Radishes as a pre-dinner nibble, served with a little bowl of salt to dip them in.





There is plenty of lush green salad for us to eat now. The Rocket in it is aptly named - it grows very rapidly indeed.


I'm picking individual leaves from my Lettuces too, because I know thay will mature while we are away on holiday (less than 3 weeks away now!) and therefore we will miss being able to eat them at the fully mature stage.


I'm sure that some of my blogging friends will have harvested something more ambitious than this, so why not pop over to Daphne's Dandelions and see what's on Harvest Monday this week?

15 comments:

  1. Your harvest looks great to me. I do love home grown radishes--nothing like store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the radishes as a nibble. Once again, I failed to actually plant any this spring. I seem to have a mental block when it comes to radishes. I really do enjoy them, but forget to plant them most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is not lost! Radishes can be ready in as little as a month from sowing.

      Delete
  3. Very nice harvest, Mark. Those lettuce leaves look so fresh and clean. Yum to all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice harvest. And really pretty radish platter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dipped in salt, only way to eat fresh radishes, unless they are white icicle. Those we used to slice, salt and eat on buttered bread, a sort of radish sandwich, some kind of German tradition in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, maybe you would like to try radishes Korean style? Sliced thinly and smothered in a dressing made of soy sauce, sesame sauce and Spring onions.

      Delete
  6. I love all the different colors and textures of your salad greens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home grown asparagus, what a delicious treat.
    Have you tried braising or stir-frying radishes? Cooking mellows the radishes (especially the over matured ones) and gives them a mildly sweet taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for my asparagus to start producing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great harvest Mark, my asparagus don't seem to be doing much, not that I can pick for another couple of years anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried radishes with salt, I will have to try that. I haven't sown any radishes this year, I seem to have overlooked a few things, must be a sign of age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Note to self - must remember to sow some radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. More photos of such beautiful vegetables is not a problem! I fall into that forget to sow radishes camp also. But when I do remember to sow them I always seem to forget to harvest them as well. Maybe I should go out and sow a few seeds today. Asparagus, on the other hand, isn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOooooh! Beautiful asparagus. I am not fond of radishes but they sure do look pretty with your asparagus! I can't wait to get my first round of asparagus maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.