Tuesday 21 October 2014

More shades of Autumn

There is not a lot going on in my garden just now - from a human's point of view - just the occasional bit of tidying up and cutting back of spent plant growth, but from Nature's point of view a lot is happening. The plants are briefly putting on their Autumn attire for one final display before their annual "long sleep".

A fashionable colour-scheme right now would be red, with tinges of orange and yellow...

The part of my Cotinus bush that was not affected by what may have been an attack of Verticillium Wilt has now adopted its normal Autumn colours, so I hope that at least part of it will come back in the Spring.

Cotinus "Royal Purple"


Cotinus "Royal Purple"


Cotinus "Royal Purple"

These are Blueberry leaves:

Blueberry

 In this next photo you can see next year's buds already forming before this year's leaves have fallen.

Blueberry

The Callicarpa has a very brief show of Autumn leaves, doubtless because it wants to shed them to better show off its array of purple berries:

Callicarpa

Callicarpa

My little Fig tree is joining in too, though it is less showy...

Fig "Brown Turkey"

This is almost the last flower in my garden for this year. It's a Gaillardia "Burgunder", whose colours definitely fit the theme.

Gaillardia "Burgunder"

The Hydrangea on the other hand is being obtuse and bucking the trend. During the Summer its blooms were pink, and vestiges of that colour still remain:

Hydrangea
 But some of the blooms seem to have decided to turn green.

Hydrangea

I have only had this Hydrangea since March, so I have a lot to learn about its behaviour. For instance, I have read that it is best not to dead-head it, but to leave the old flowers on the plant until it begins to grow again in the Spring. What do you think of that advice?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. We have a callicarpa too. I had no clue that they made pretty purple berries until the first fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's recommended that the spent flower heads are left on hydrangeas to protect the buds from frost. I don't think there's any harm in going along with this advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The head left on the hydrangea isn't really a flower head and the flowers are just the tiny things in the centre. It's like a poinsettia in that the coloured bits are bracts, The flower buds should already have formed so you need to be careful about what you remove or you could end up with no flowers next year, The dead heads are left on over winter to give a bit of frost protection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's useful advice! Thank you, Sue. I shall look carefully before I cut.

      Delete
  4. Autumnal colours at their best you do always put on a colourful show at this time of year on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fantastic colourful displays. I love this time of year.
    I've got some plants that are only just coming in to bloom which has really surprised me.
    That's also an Interesting comment from Sue above, which makes me think that I'll have no flowers next year. I've had very few this year and I've been cutting them for floral displays! Hmm..
    Thanks for the advice and sharing your colours.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.