Friday 22 June 2012

Strawberries

My miniature Strawberry-patch is just about to deliver its first fruit!


Now that the precious fruits are beginning to ripen I have been thinking about ways to protect them from birds and squirrels. As you may recall, I had the black plastic box in which they are growing located in the large wooden planter outside our kitchen window - in other words in a position highly visible to predators, and difficult to protect. So I have moved the Strawberries to one of the mini-greenhouses.


Normally I would reckon that this position would be uncomfortably hot for the Strawberries, even with the front panel rolled up, but the fact is our current temperatures are still pretty low, especially at night, so I think they will be OK. And of course it means that protection is relatively easy, using the greenhouse shelves to make a wire grille. If you're wondering what the bricks are for, they are there to stop the greenhouse blowing away in the strong winds we are still getting.


I admit that this box with only four plants in it is not going to give me a huge crop of fruit, but I'm treating this as an experiment. If it proves worthwhile I may go for larger-scale production next year (space permitting...)


These berries would never pass muster for sale at a supermarket because their shape is not regular enough.


But I bet they will taste good!

Meanwhile, the wooden planter now plays host to two boxes of mini carrots:


***********************************************************************************
P.S. My Strawberry patch HAS now delivered its first fruit!

Cambridge Favourite

Well, yes, it is a minuscule harvest in terms of quantity. But flavour? That's another matter altogether. We ate them warm, two minutes after harvesting and they tasted very good indeed!


17 comments:

  1. They look great. I have only had about a dozen Strawberries so far but they have been wonderful. Hope you enjoyed eating them. There is no comparison to the shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, if you happen to see this, I just want you to know that I have been trying unsuccessfully to comment on your blog. I wanted to say that I love your "Ladybird" pigeon-scarer, but I love the triple water-butt even more!

      Delete
  2. Who wants strawberries that can pass the supermarket test?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries from the garden are the best. I have them every morning with my cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having good success with placing a bit of white remay over my berries when I am not around in the garden. Mind you, once a chipmunk has it in her head to have the strawberries,there is no stopping her unless the whole thing is weighted down securely. With the birds, I find if they can't see the fruit, they don't search it out. Mind you, these a Canajan birds ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bren, sorry, but what is "remay"? Is it like fleece? BTW: I've been trying unsuccessfully to leave comments on your blog. I don't suppose you have seen them, have you? Maybe in your Spam folder??

      Delete
    2. Hi Mark..thanks for following my blog! Sincerely. Yes, remay is fleece. I find it a good thing to have around. Heavy rain expected tonight and my roses are just about to bloom, so they will get covered. Good stuff!!

      Google has been a bit of a bother lately. As you can see from my post, I tried everything to get rid of the background in the lettering but no go!! So as for not being able to leave comments. I checked my spam and nothing there.. Will you please try again.

      Have been so pleased about your broad bean posts. Wish I had more plants now! So next year, for sure. And I will try planting them really early like this year under the cold frame.

      Delete
  5. A very rewarding treat (and nicely displayed too)! I hope you show us your pulling of the baby carrots. I'm hoping to get carrots but them seem to be growing so very slow and I'm hoping to go for the bigger size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, you may rest assured that I'll show you the results of the carrot-growing - good or bad! They are still very tiny, but no sign of the fly yet, so I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  6. I have a few strawberry plants in a pot in my garden this year and so far things are looking good, they still have a bit to go. There is nothing nicer than fruit stright from the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strawberries, yum its all about the taste, but the pictures are tasty too. I've already done 2 lots of jam from mine this week, don't want any wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many un ripe strawbs. Can't wait for them to turn red. My fave fruit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well they may not make the supermarket criteria because these beauties have flavour!
    They look amazing...and just in time for Wimbledon ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My strawberries come out tiny too but its the taste that matters. Also I love their bright color and glossy skin - its unlike what we find in supermarkets. I sincerely hope the birds n squirrels leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark, those strawberries looks just perfect and I am sure their flavor overpower the whole box of store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just about finished my greenhouse strawberries - have been having them every day for about three weeks - just got to wait for the outdoor ones to ripen now - could be some time yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.