Saturday 25 January 2014

Have you succumbed to the urge?

At this time of year most gardeners feel a strong urge to sow or plant something. Anything, in fact. We all know that in 99% of cases it is better to wait a couple of months, but we all want to have a go at something as soon as possible. Well, even if you haven't succumbed to that urge, I have...

I'm fortunate in having a Growlight House, in which I know I can germinate small pots of seeds and grow them on until they are quite a decent size. I shall certainly be using it to start my main crop of chillis and tomatoes next month, but for now I have other plans. I am using it to grow some plants that I am confident I will be able to keep indoors in positions that will get enough light. For instance, I have two pots of Basil, one of which I have taken out of the GH to photograph.


As you can see, I have sown lots of seeds in each pot - far too many for the main purpose, which is to have a couple of plants on the Dining-Room windowsill, as I always do. However, there are two reasons for the multiplicity of seeds: first, I wasn't sure whether any of them would germinate, because they came from a pack of seeds that say "packed in year ending Nov 2009", so I was aiming-off for a high failure rate (needlessly as it happens); and second, I plan to use the majority of them as microgreens.


So I shall leave them all for a couple of weeks (until they are microgreen-sized in fact) before thinning them out.

I just thought I would mention that I have only recently thrown away two Basil plants that were from January 2012. At present I have two mature plants that are from seeds sown this time last year. I have cropped them time and time again, and made loads of pesto, of which we have a considerable quantity in the freezer.

Basil plants from seeds sown Jan 2013
As well as the Basil I have two pots of Parsley (fresher seeds!). These have not germinated yet, but I'm not worried since I know that Parsley often takes ages to come up. Hopefully the gentle warmth of the GH will help. I also have two pots of chillis.


The chillis are a bit of an experiment too. More of a seed-viability test than anything else. I have a bag of seeds saved from a Scotch Bonnet plant I grew several years ago, and I am seeing if they are still OK. I have put 6 seeds in one 5-inch pot, and covered  it with a plastic bag to increase the humidity. No sign of germination yet, but it's early days still because they have only been in there for six days.


The other pot of chillis contains 6 seeds from a very different origin. A couple of months ago Jane won some chilli-themed products (condiments, sauces, etc) in a competition, and when they arrived  four small very dry chillis fell out of the packing material. We think they had just got in there by mistake during the packing process. Anyway, you know what I'm like: I pounced on them and claimed them for myself! Now I am sowing a few of the seeds to see if they are viable. The chillis look as if they might be a "Birds Eye" type. They are certainly very small, (about an inch long) as "Bird's Eye" ones generally are.


The pod I opened had about 25 seeds in it, so if the others are similar I have enough for a sizeable plantation! Do you know, I think it is actually nicer to grow something like this than something from a mass-produced commercial seed packet.

12 comments:

  1. I actually should have succumbed to the urge already as I usually plant my onion seeds on Jan 24th. They still haven't been planted. I have plenty of time to do it, but I think I've been too lazy to start. I ought to get up and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really itching to plant something too. I usually test lettuce and spinach seeds around this time of year. Any that do sprout are allowed to grow under lights providing us with a few cuttings every now and then. Soon onion seeds will be sewn. I try to keep herbs growing in pots through the winter. At this point, they are looking a bit sad. So I should start some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! I have onion and lettuce seedlings growing under lights, parsley and more onion seeds planted but not yet up. Now you've made me want to get a pot of basil growing for the windowsill! I hope I can then control myself until mid-March, when it will actually be time to start the rest of my seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not succumbed yet but now the box-room is less cluttered with decorating paraphernalia maybe we cab get our grow gardens fired up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been so well behaved & have not sown one single thing. Lessons have been learned after a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been very good and have not succumbed but I have thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to plant the chilli seeds as well, I can't resist a bit of a mystery. I haven't cracked and sown anything yet, but I can feel the pull of the seeds which arrived through my door from the allotment association yesterday. The leeks are whispering, "plant us, plant us"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess i do not have all your paraphernalia Mark to share your fun but when I receive my hardy plant seed from various distribution schemes i will be sowing much of the seed straight away in my cold greenhouse.
    As you know Mark I have blogged recently about sowing too early in artificial heat and poor light. You seem to have the problem sorted with your (expensive) illumination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, I think you are being a bit uncharitable. The "paraphernalia" consists of one single device - the Growlight House, priced at just under £60. By today's standards, I don't consider that unduly expensive. When I was in the Army, we used to say "Any fool can be uncomfortable", meaning that if technology (kit) is available to keep you comfortable, then you should use it. I'm applying the same principle to my little plants! :-)

      Delete
    2. We have the same paraphernalia too and we consider money we spend on growing to be our hobby spend. Cheaper than for many hobbies,Having said that we do spend on other hobbies too :)

      Delete
  9. Just to say I reckon you are right on your diagnosis of the unknown chillis as bird's eyes. I bought a huge bag of the dried ones in an Indian supermarket when visiting the Indian side of the family last and they all look exactly like that.

    Out of interest, where did you get your Growlight House from? I've seen something similar on Suttons but last I looked it was much above £60!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rozzie, it was from www.gardenbestbuys.com - price £59.99 (Feb 2013).

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.