Thursday 17 January 2013

Velmead Common - Part 2

A couple of days ago I wrote about a walk on Velmead Common, and showed you a lot of photos of the heathland and its bovine inhabitants. Today I'm going to show you some close-up photos of things like mosses, lichens and tree stumps - again all seen on Velmead Common. However I want to start with another picture of that handsome Highland cow. I think that these photos speak for themselves, and for me to write anything about them would probably be superfluous...


































So there you are - just SMALL selection from the 223 photos I took in the space of about 2 hours. The storage card in my DSLR camera has enough space for approximately 3750 photos. I thought this sounded vast when I first got the camera, but now I'm not so sure!

13 comments:

  1. What a great place, I love that some of the foliage looks almost alien or fake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're as bad as me - I set the camera in burst mode and in no time have about 500 shots fired off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to invest in a proper camera now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many beautiful things around us that we want to photograph everything. I like the photo of a funny looking bull with a fringe :) But, is it a bull actually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cow or bull? Hmmm; it's hard to tell with all that fur - and I certainly wasn't going to make a close inspection!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, beautiful photos!
    You are almost correct about no extra explanations needed. Just one exception - what are those lovely yellow blooms?
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie
    Mississippi, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea; The yellow flowers are Gorse, aka Furze. This is a tough, hardy plant that grows very widely in the UK, on open moorland, cliffs, etc. You can see that it has big spikes, so it is not one on which the cattle graze!

      Delete
  7. That is a handsome highlander. The clipped horn gives him more character -- as if he needed it!

    Also, I could look at moss, lichen, and fungus close-ups all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature gives us so many wonderful things to look at, or photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the last shot the best. A minature forest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photographs are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I feel like I jump into Narnia world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.