Sunday 27 January 2013

Under Ottolenghi's spell

You can hardly have failed to notice that I have recently been very impressed with the cookery style of Yotam Ottolenghi! Loved his TV series; loved his new book "Jerusalem". So many of his recipes appeal to my taste, and I really admire his down-to-earth, sometimes even rustic, presentation of food. He is not a vegetarian, but he handles vegetable cookery so well, and knows exactly how vegetables and meat go together best.


Yesterday I wrote about a Lentil and Red Onion salad that was directly influenced by an Ottolenghi recipe, and today I am going to write about the rest of the meal of which this was a part. The meal was definitely "in the style of" Ottolenghi, but not following any specific recipes. It just happens to be a meat-free meal, but it could easily have been otherwise. Here is picture of the "organised chaos" in the kitchen as I was putting the meal together - otherwise known as "mise en place"...


This was my menu:

First (as a starter) the Lentil and Red Onion salad, which I have already described.


Then (all served simultaneously)
Baked Field mushrooms with garlic, Thyme and lemon
Celeriac chips fried in Rosemary butter
Soft Polenta with fried onion and Parmesan cheese
Plain boiled Savoy Cabbage

The end result:-


Here are the mushrooms, ready for baking, sprinkled with crushed garlic and black pepper and topped with a knob of butter, a small piece of the Blue Cheese, and a little slice of lemon. These were huge mushrooms and they had quite thick skins, which would probably have been unpalatable, so I peeled them.


Here's a view of the semi-dried tomatoes that went into the Red Onion and Lentil salad, along with the Celeriac chips in their raw state.


Here are those Celeriac chips again. Celeriac does tend to go brown when exposed to air, so to prevent this I put my chips in water acidulated with a couple of slices of lemon.


Here is the whole thing plated-up. Soft polenta at the back, with slow-fried crispy onions and parmesan cheese stirred into it. At the right the Savoy cabbage, boiled plainly in salted water for just a few minutes. This was perhaps the least exciting element of the meal but that doesn't mean it was not nice. To be honest though I included it mainly to give us some variety of colour and texture.


The Celeriac chips were fried in butter and vegetable oil, into which I had put about a dessertspoonful of finely chopped fresh Rosemary. These chips don't go crispy like potato chips, but My Goodness, they are tasty! Much more so than potato chips.

I made too much polenta (as usual). It is actually quite difficult to make polenta in small quantities! Never mind, you can tip out any that is left over onto a piece of clingfilm or greaseproof paper, chill it and use it later. Fried polenta chips are nice...


As I said, this meal did not include any meat, but having said that I see no reason why you could not add some if you wanted to. A grilled Pork Chop or a couple of Lamb Cutlets would have been nice with this - as indeed would have been a few Lamb Koftas or some brochettes (aka kebabs), or even a grilled chicken breast.

19 comments:

  1. the mushrooms are stunning... he is an amazing man and such a charmer too... his food is divine... methinks you need a trip to Israel and Egypt with the good wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I have been trying out recipes from 'Plenty' and have been impressed by those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must start to sneak in some veggie menus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, there's a difference between actively Vegetarian and simply meat-free!

      Delete
  4. Lovely liked the look of these. I love mushrooms but my veggie daughter doesn't ! I really should look at his books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and making me feel hungry. On a strict 1200 calories a day at the moment so only have to see a picture of food to get the hunger pangs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely. As a vegetarian, I am constantly looking for flavoursome (is that a word?) food as, even after nearly 20 years as a vegetarian, I still miss the strong flavour of meat - this dish looks like it is packed full of flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane..if you don't mind me saying so...is one lucky woman...although I do expect she does some of the peel and cut. Nice working together in a kitchen though, isn't it. Especially making such a fine veg meal.

    I too was impressed with the mushrooms. I usually use Dom's recipe belleau kitchen but yours sounds mighty fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He has a TV series? I will have to look out for it here. I must also look out for the Jerusalem book - sadly none of my family thought to give it as a X-Mas present...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, the TV series was called Ottolenghi's Mediterranean Feast.

      Delete
  9. The celeriac chips sound really good. Have you tried making sweet potato chips; they're extremely tasty and nice served with a dip of sour cream and honey. Your meal looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, we have in the past made Sweet Potato "wedges" (i.e. with the skins left on) which are really nice (especially with a dusting of paprika!). We often use our Actifry machine for frying chips; this method is a lot healthier than deep-frying.

      Delete
  10. And to think I almost missed this post (and still have to go back to the last one)! I have never tried celeriac before but will have to try it (I have not tried the sweet potato ones either) with these chips. They look so tasty! Of course the mushroom looks good but it was the boiled savoy cabbage that caught my eye. I love raw savoy cabbage but for some reason never thought to cook it. Going to have to try polenta one of these days too. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Savoy cabbage, we're big on greens in our house. The mushrooms look very tasty, you're making me hungry again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love celeriac chips! Veggie food is very tasty and surprisingly just as filling I find. I love these recipes Mark! They're making me very hungry!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...impressive Mark. And I must go back and find your lentil recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coors Light? Seriously though - the meal looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uhmmm que buena pinta!!!! me encantan los champiñones

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a wonderful and assorted dinner, I do like celeriac too!
    You're right it's quite impossible to make polenta in small quantities and also not convenient in case you cook it for 45 minutes like I do.
    ciao Su

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.