Thursday 14 January 2016

Topsoil

My topsoil for the new raised beds has arrived!


I ordered the bulk bag of  "Norfolk Biodress Raised Bed Mix", nominally 900kg, but since it was very wet, probably weighing twice as much! It looks like good stuff. I don't see any significant stones in it, nor any weeds, so I am hoping it will be just what I was after.


I have also today ordered the wooden sleepers for the raised beds, to be delivered next week. This time I am planning to construct two new beds, each requiring six sleepers. Once those are done I'll make a decision on whether to do the final two. "Rome wasn't built in a day" they say!

Jane said to me today "You're soon going to have to find a use for those great big bags" (the one from the topsoil and the half-empty one from the shingle I bought last year). I said "I already have. I'm going to use them for storing leaves in the Autumn."


Actually they will also be handy for taking rubbish to the tip.

8 comments:

  1. Anne, Lewisham gardens14 January 2016 at 12:42

    Looks good.
    Tried two suppliers recently ( Travis Perkins and Pro+ grow) and both were mostly sand. Very disappointing. Especially as they weren't cheap.
    Might give Norfolk a go for a new church garden we are planting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the TP stuff might be good for growing carrots!

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking what wonderful bags those were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are very useful for taking rubbish to the skip & they keep the car fairly clean too. Looking forward to your sleeper delivery we have decided to go down the sleeper route too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like really good soil. How nice to get it in bags, around here they just dump it in your driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Michelle, we have to deal with a huge pile on our driveway - bags that could be tipped directly into the beds would be much more convenient! I hope that your soil works out well - our last lot looked great when it arrived and it was only later in the season that the weeds showed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place I got my topsoil from also does 25kg bags, which could literally be "tipped directly into the beds", but it is much more expensive than the 900kg bulk bag.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.