Saturday 9 January 2016

Hellebores

Our current weather (wet, wet, wet) is definitely not conducive to gardening, so I haven't much of interest to write about. Today it's my turn to cook, so I'll be writing about that for tomorrow. For the time being though, all I can offer you is some photos of my Hellebores. There is very little colour in my garden at present, so these provide a bit of welcome relief from grey and green.

The well-established ones (now in their 3rd year) are covered with flowers:


Hellebore flowers are "shy", so you have to lift them up to get a good look at them.



The biggest one has very pale pink flowers.


Funnily enough, on the same plant some of the flowers have plain petals, whereas others are "crinkly".


This dark-coloured one was given to me last year by my friend Alice, a very accomplished florist. Her website is here - Lock Cottage Flowers.


The plant is not big yet, but the flowers are lovely.


There are lots of buds like this coming up, so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a more comprehensive display. I have found that Hellebores grow very slowly!


I'm not sure about this one. It doesn't look very healthy to me.


This is the "Red Spotted Hybrid" one that I bought at a Garden Centre two years ago. The leaves are very mottled. This usually means one of two things: either it has a mineral deficiency, or it has been affected by a virus. I'll try feeding it and see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't I will consider disposing of it.


Meanwhile, my tiny Hellebore seedlings have been nibbled by slugs, so after taking this photo I have put some slug pellets round them. Having been in the ground since June, these are too precious to lose!


There are 9 seedlings in that pot, and two of them are now just bare stems.

3 comments:

  1. Our hellebores are at a higher level which makes it easier to see the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of fungal leaf blemishes that attack hellebores, Mark. I would be inclined to remove the old leaves on the plant you have doubts about. Infection spreads from old leaves to new ones
    I agree the other plant might be given a general feed of compound fertilise or a few liquid feeds over the next month. I don't feed mine but if I thought there was a need would be happy to do so now

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see green this time of year. I enjoy the Lenten Rose, though mine are under snow at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.