Wednesday 20 January 2016

A delivery from the Apple store!

No, this post is not about technology (thank Goodness). Just after Christmas I took delivery of a new apple tree from Victoriana Nursery Gardens. It is a curiously-named variety for an apple:- "Winter Banana". Nevertheless it looks like a really nice specimen, and I have great expectations of it!


The "Scrumptious" apple tree I used to have never did very well, and I think the real reason for this was that it quickly developed Bitter Pit, a condition associated with an inability to absorb calcium from a dry soil. This time I have decided to grow my tree in a container, and I shall go to great lengths to keep it well-watered!

To this end, I ordered a container from LBS Horticultural Supplies. Actually I ordered two, because I am going to re-pot my Olive tree as well. The ones I chose were these, called "Heavy Duty Container Pots":


They have a capacity of 60 litres. Diameter is 55cm (approx. 22 ins) and height is 38cm. They come with ready-made drainage holes and carrying-handles. I think they are good value too. The pair of them (including next-day delivery) cost me £15.54. This is a LOT less expensive than anything they had at my local garden centre!


Just for comparison, here they are next to one of the 35litre pots I bought last year, for growing potatoes in.


I think LBS have some great, and good value, products. It's just a shame that their website is such rubbish! And I don't recommend using their "Contact Us" facility. I used it to try to get information about the dimensions of these pots, but a whole week elapsed and I received no response of any sort, so I had to resort to the telephone.

Since I knew that the container would be too heavy for me to lift it when full, I positioned it where I wanted it before filling it.

The black container in the foreground is the one with the Asparagus in it

Following advice from Stephen at Victoriana, I have stood the pot on top of a triangle of house-bricks, in order to assist with drainage.


Right, now here is the apple tree, after planting:


I have made sure that the joint of the rootstock and the main tree trunk is above the soil level. I also used a bit of soft string to help keep the tree upright just in case we get any severe gales before it settles in.


Along this side of my garden I have not only the new apple tree, but also a "Concorde" Pear tree, a Honeyberry bush and another apple (a Bramley). The latter may be a mistake: I hope it won't get too big! The beauty of the new arrangement is that it is portable. If I want to move the tree at any stage, it will be eminently possible.


Just the other side of the fence you see here is a big apple tree in my neighbour's garden. I'm hoping that it will act as a pollinator for the new arrival. If the two don't "get it together" I may have to buy another little tree, but for the time being all I can do is wait and see...

12 comments:

  1. How curious. You now have olive, fig, bay and 'Winter Banana' apple, all low chill (less than 400 hours below 45°F) mediterranean climate trees we grow here in southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is positively Mediterranean here in Hampshire! (Not at present though: -7C today!)

      Delete
  2. How exciting! Your tree has some nice branching on it - it's definitely quite a bit more developed than my new trees are. Fingers crossed that it likes it's new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to know how you picked the variety 'Winter Apple. I love reading fruit catalogues as the names interest me so much. Is this your case of 'wanties'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Winter Banana" was recommended to me by Stephen from Victoriana. I told him what characteristics I wanted, and he named a suitable variety. It sounds good from the description!

      Delete
  4. I hope that your little tree thrives. Just one point could you put some type of padding to,stop,the string cutting in or rubbing the bark. Some would use old tights instead of string :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have the URL for LBS Horticultural Supplies? I found https://www.lbshorticulture.co.uk by googling but Chrome and Firefox reports a security error for that website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James; Their website is currently out of action for maintenance. By googling their name I found this at 11:15 today, Thursday: "Please be advised that our website is currently down for essential maintenance. If you wish to place an order or have a query please do not hesitate to ring our sales or customer services teams on 01282 873333 who will be happy to take your call."

      Delete
  6. Winter Banana, what an intriguing name, I often wonder how plants have come to have the names they do. It looks a lovely tree, lots of branches and a nice shape already. I hope you have better luck growing the tree in a container to how your other tree has fared in the ground, I've done it the opposite way round, my container grown trees got planted in to the ground last year so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pots are really good value, you've done well to find them. And it's a lovely looking apple tree.i must check if my dwarf apples need any pruning this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mark, I like the pots. Is LBS Horticulture trade only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, LBS is open to everyone. I have bought from them a couple of times without any issues.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.