Thursday 3 April 2014

Boosting the borders

As the observant ones amongst you will have noticed, over the last couple of years Mark's Veg Plot has moved a tad closer to Mark's Flower Plot. I have made a conscious effort to include more ornamental plants in my garden - though I have to say these are in addition to the vegetables, not instead of!

A couple of weeks ago, when I was giving the Dogwood shrubs their annual trim, I removed two of them in order to free-up some space for more flowers, and last weekend I filled the space with Hellebores:


These Hellebores are the ones I bought last Autumn in a set of plug-plants being offered by Hayloft Plants.


The collection has six plants, but one of mine nearly died, and although it is recovering, it is not yet big enough for planting out. These little plants are going to be overshadowed by the Cotinus shrub whose trunk you see just behind them in my photos, but I have researched this and I reckon they will be OK. Hellebores are said to like dappled shade.

In the Autumn I cleared away most of the old and woody Sage plants from this same border, and this has let in a lot more light, prompting some vigorous growth by the Crocosmia:


That Crocosmia has been there for many years, but has never done well because it doesn't get enough light - or didn't. Maybe this year it will be better?

At one end of the border are my Snakeshead Fritillaries. They are not yet in full flower, but there are plenty
of buds. This is one of the purple ones:


And these ones are the white variety:


Around the bases of the mature (3-year-old) plants, there are lots of youngsters:


And all over the place are the tiny seedlings emerging from the seeds which I scattered last year (interspersed with young Wild Garlic plants, you'll notice). This time next year I should have a spectacular display of Fritillaries!


In the border by the shed (at right angles to the one with the Hellebores in it), I have a nice bright patch of Primroses:






Normally this bed would be awash with Euphorbia by now, but this year the Euphorbia is very sparse by normal standards. I don't know why this is. Perhaps it is because of the wet but mild Winter we had?



12 comments:

  1. We have both types of fritillaries but no matter how many seeds I scatter they just don't bulk up. I tried growing in a pot and they germinated but never developed past the grass stage!
    Out hellebores get plenty of shade in late spring and summer. I've ordered a collection of dark purple and yellow spotted ones from Hayloft to add to our bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been going to more flowers. I've been going the other way. I used to grow a lot more flowers at my last house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your primroses. I may have to see if we have any of those here that I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog from the United States and I just had to comment and say how envious I am of your primroses! We were able to grow them in Pennsylvania, but are in Kansas City now & it's too hot & dry. Ditto with the Euphorbia and Crocosmia. But I am able to grow my favorite type of fritillary that you've showcased today, and my hellebores do well also! Thank you for your writing. It is giving me a much needed shot of springtime, as I only have crocuses and daffs blooming now. And I am always happy to have new tips and ideas for vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment, Kristin. Thank you. I'm glad I have been able to bring back some pleasant memories for you.

      Delete
  5. Nice splashes of color Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your primroses look really bright & colourful. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're going to have to rename your blog, Mark's Veg and Flower Plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I had originally wanted to call my blog "Mark's Garden", but that name was already in use!

      Delete
  8. A pretty primeroses row.
    So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dogwood - I wish I had space for dogwood. I would, were I to get rid of something. But there's nothing I want to get rid of. So I don't. (Have dogwood.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those hellebores will be huge in no time. Love the fritillaries, they are something I mean to add here, one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.