Sunday 16 March 2014

Ophiopogon

I'm currently "on" grasses, and grass-like plants, so when I saw this the other day on sale at my local Garden Centre, I couldn't resist buying it:


It's Ophiopogon Planiscapus "Niger". Unsurprisingly, in view of its name, the leaves are a beautiful dark purple, almost black colour. In this next photo I was experimenting with colours, seeing if the Ophiopogon would look nice in a pale-coloured pot.


In the end I decided against putting it in a pot of any sort, because I want it to spread (which by all accounts it will), so I have put it at the base of my new birdbath:



Following my usual procedure, while removing the plant from its pot I was on the lookout for offshoots or plantlets that could be separated from the main plant. I was lucky: there were two:


I'm hoping that before very long these plants will spread out all round the base of the birdbath. I'm rather pleased with the colour contrast too!


I want to finish today with an arty photo of another Ophiopogon, (probably not a "Niger"), taken last Summer in Trengwainton Gardens in Cornwall:


Caught in a shaft of sunlight, it looks as if it has been illuminated by a powerful searchlight!

9 comments:

  1. I have the same plant round the base of one of our bird baths. It produces flowers too - small white spikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be lovely around the birdbath! Catnip grew around our birdbath last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It spreads slowly but eventually, it will cover the ground around your birdbath. I love its pale tiny flowers and dark berries. I am sure you'll love it too. I am glad you have embraced the grasses and grass-like plants. This dark leaves look wonderful in contrast of pale green, maybe you can find some of the sages to accompany the Ophiopogon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is for the first time I see the 'Niger' variety. Beautiful. The green variety usually planted in home garden or park ad ornamental grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love grasses... love black grasses too... I had a black bamboo once which was stunning, you should hunt one down to ad to you grass area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colour is lovely with your birdbath. As you know, I'm not a lover of grasses, but I do like the darker foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of this plant too. It's a slow grower but I've had success in propagating more plants by collecting the berries and sowing the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this plant. So many intriguing designery combos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the black grass and it's quite striking. Over the years however it has taken over an area of the garden and expanded well into areas I'd rather it not be. The roots / plants can be difficult to remove once firmly established.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.