Thursday 20 March 2014

Harvesting the first PSB

Hooray! The moment has come to harvest my first Purple Sprouting Broccoli of the year. This is always an enjoyable moment for me, having waited so long for it. PSB is probably my favourite veg, so I consider it worth the wait.


This year the PSB plants are quite small, so I won't get a big crop, but the quality looks good. And PSB is so photogenic too!


I always cut the main head of the plant first. This stimulates the growth of the side-shoots. Today I took out the heads of three of my four plants, cutting them about 6 - 8 inches from the tip:



This is enough for a small serving for the two of us.


It feels so good to be harvesting something again, because the last few weeks have been a rather lean period for my garden. Other than the PSB I now have only herbs and a few chicories and endives to harvest. However, my Broad Beans are growing fast so it won't be a very long time before they produce a crop, and I have loads of tiny brassica seedlings coming on fast in my mini-greenhouses, and the leeks are showing through too. Spring is definitely here.



8 comments:

  1. Oh you do rub salt in the wound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harvested our first PSB yesterday. It is a great veg. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, as you say it is a very pretty vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That particular broccoli is very photogenic...beautiful photos. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious of your psb, it makes me all the more adamant that I won't be without next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and it must be delicious. You make me jealous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos Mark we also had our first last night with a lovely homemade chicken pie and pesto mash, heaven

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.