Friday 14 March 2014

Carrots - protective measures in smaller scale

Following on from the construction of my Anti-Carrot Root Fly carrot-growing structure (as described on Tuesday), I have decided to apply the same approach to my arrangements for growing miniature (i.e. salad) carrots.

Photo from August 2013

I am using two large plastic storage-boxes (purchased at Tesco - approx £2.49 each), in the bases of which I have drilled several drainage holes. I filled the boxes with a mixture of home-made compost and sand. In them I have sowed three types of miniature carrot: "Mini Finger", "Mignon" and "Amsterdam III Sprint", all half-packets left over from last year. In amongst them I sowed a small number of "White Lisbon" Spring Onions, which are supposedly a deterrent to Carrot Root Fly. The two boxes fit neatly in my wooden planter, standing each on two bricks to raise them to the right height.


The hoops for the protection system are made from wire coat-hangers chopped at the appropriate places with a pair of sturdy pliers.





Over the hoops I have draped a small piece of Enviromesh cut from a length of the stuff that has been sitting in the garage for several years, awaiting just such an opportunity. The big piece had several holes in it (courtesy of the local feline population), but I found a bit that was OK.


The mesh is secured to the wood of the planter with brass drawing-pins:


I think I stand a better chance of getting good carrots this year than ever before!

13 comments:

  1. Hasn't the height of the planter deterred the carrot root fly previously? I never used to have any damage to the carrots I grew in the old bath, and it was only raised to the height of a normal bath. Perhaps I was just lucky. Good luck with your carrots this year, they should be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, Yes you are right. In previous years I didn't use mesh, but I did get a little fly damage late in the season. This time I am going for 100 %!

      Delete
  2. I love the planter - do you mind me asking where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Jane won it! I think you can get them from forestgarden.co.uk though. Ours is called the bamburgh.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started blogging and just learning how to leave comments correctly...so I'll try this again! Anyway I agree with Sue...the planter is lovely; my husband has recently retired & enjoys building furniture...so this may be his next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet, you seem to be doing OK! Welcome aboard....

      Delete
    2. I agree with the ladies! It looks very professional.

      Delete
  5. It looks great Mark, I do like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, carrots in containers too. Going to have to go see what I can find. Glad we don't have problems with that carrot fly here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be using garlic wonder spray this year and doing away with any protection to see if it works. An organic product that I've been told works well at deterring carrot fly. Has to worth a go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen some comments about this product on the UK Veg Gardeners forum. I shall be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.