Friday 1 November 2013

Shelling beans

I have been drying my "Veitch's" climbing French Beans in a basket in the airing-cupboard, and at the weekend I judged some of them to be dry enough for shelling:


I reckon that a bean-pod is ready for shelling when the skin is dry and crispy and the beans inside rattle when you shake it.


I sorted my pods and only shelled the ones that I thought were ready. They were a very mixed bag. Some were completely dry and had gone a deep red colour; others were surprisingly soft despite their crispy shells and were still a delicate pink colour. One or two had begun to sprout.


The beans in that bowl weighed just over 150 grams. When they are all fully dry they will weigh a bit less, so they probably represent only one meal's worth for two people.  This is why I don't devote much of my patch to growing beans for shelling. The same amount of space used for growing beans for eating as fresh pods would produce a lot more food - probably four or five times as much. Despite this, I LIKE dried home-grown beans! In January or February they will make a fine ingredient for a pork casserole or a Mexican-style chilli con carne and they will remind me of the Summer.

Since I had considerable difficulty getting any of these beans to germinate, I plan to save a few of the best ones for next year, then I will know that I am starting with fresh stock.


Even if they were not edible, I'd enjoy having these beans. Those deep red "jewels" are things of beauty in their own right.

5 comments:

  1. well they look pretty even though they may be a waste of space... and should the zombie hoards attack...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't am airing cupboard so I'm not sure how we would dry beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color of dried beans too. I put them in jars and line the jars up on my cabinet in the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful. I've got a bowl of borlotti beans on top of the piano, for want of somewhere sensible to put them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.