Saturday 14 May 2011

A deep thirst?

Thinking ahead here... It is entirely possible, given the strange weather conditions we have had recently, that we will have a hot dry Summer. In the hope that we will, I have installed an irrigation system for my Marrow plant, which I know will be thirsty even at the best of times. The plant is growing in a big bottomless tub filled with home-made compost:


I have inserted a couple of 30cm lengths of 25mm-diameter plastic pipe, so that I can deliver water directly to the roots of the plant. To put this into place I used the handle of a rake to make a hole and then put the pipe in afterwards, thus ensuring that the pipe is unobstructed.


So it's simply a matter of pouring water down the pipes (always assuming I can locate them once the Marrow leaves reach their full size...)

10 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, Mark. Fingers crossed for that hot summer, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Greece for 2011 we have to much rain. And that it is not so good for my garden, and I can't do nothing.
    I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, you seem to come up with very clever ideas! However, I forget what a 'marrow' plant is. Is it like a squash?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use plastic water bottles. Just cut the bottoms off, insert close to your plant with the cut end showing so the neck end is deep in the ground and just pour water in as usual. Cheap, effective and easy. The pipe idea is good as well though Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever Mark! I like the open container idea to get to the soil as well. Jenni's post - interesting how the French and UK(ers) call zuchini, courgette. And extra big courgette/zuchini become marrows - think i've got that right. Another veg name difference, Americans say eggplant but in the UK we call it aubergine. Hmmm. Wonder which names they use in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishful thinking - a good summer - hope so we are due one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat. I am saving fizzy drink bottles to use for my courgettes and squash plants - cut the bottom off, remove the top and bury alongside the plant. Otherwise the foliage makes watering VERY hard. A hot summer would be a mixed blessing now that I have an allotment...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.