Tuesday 17 May 2011

Brassicas

Here's a peek at how the brassicas are coming on.... First from the outside of their cage:


Then from the inside: (The lengths to which I will go these days to get pictures for my blog amaze even me - and the neighbours even more I suspect!).


You can see Cabbages, Kohlrabi and three types of Summer Broccoli. Some of the cabbages are just beginning to form their hearts:


And here are a couple of arty photos of the "Marner Langgerrot" Red Cabbage from the other bed:




The netting seems to have been pretty effective so far. No fox damage, and no sign of caterpillars - yet.

8 comments:

  1. These look great. I seem not to be able to produce a decent head of cabbage in my poor soil but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't brassicas among the most wonderful photographic veggies in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brassicas are growing really fast. We are hiding our purple sprouting broccoli with sweet potato leaves. Not effective actually. But not much expose like other brassicas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, if you have the space l urge you to grow some Purple Sprouting Brocolli. Sow now and harvest in Feb/March/April next year. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Protecting brassicas is a good idea. The other day, though, it struck me it would be good to plant cabbages in the garden of an elderly and house-bound relative. Brassicas do terrible things to her stomach so she doesn't need the leaves but butterflies would be wonderful to watch.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish we could get ours planted but it is still so dry here - they are waiting in pots at home where we can water them easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're looking great. The slugs have always got mine in the past. I'm considering using organic pellets this year, though I don't really want to. I haven't got mine out yet, they're still in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They certainly are looking good - I planted mine at the same time so it's fabulous to see what mine should look like... I might have to take the computer downstairs and show them too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.