Saturday 21 May 2011

I love my new fern!

My new fern - Dryopteris Erythrosora - continues to enthrall me. It produces some new colour, shape or texture more or less every day!


The new fronds start off by being a deep bronze colour, striped with red


As they mature, the fronds turn a sort of "old gold" colour. I think that in a week or two they will turn green.


I am also pleased with the way the fern looks in the pot that I bought for it.


The chive flowers are past their best now - looking rather washed-out - but the variegated Sage is positively glowing. The yellow colour seems to have intensified over the last couple of weeks.

6 comments:

  1. You can't have too many ferns in my humble opinion and that's a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and intriguing at the same time love the pot you have the fern in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an unusual fern! I don't recall ever seeing one like it. The pot matches the color very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, thanks for stopping by A Diva's Garden. I'm loving your blog and will be asking of questions, lol. Here I go, is that the "Autum" fern? I just planted 4 Christmas ferns in my shade garden. Hope they cone up, I planted the root type of ferns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, I'm sorry I don't recognise the terms "Autumn fern" and "Christmas fern". Apart from the new one - which I bought earlier this year - all my other ones are the progeny of one "volunteer" plant which spontaneously appeared in my garden. They self-seed very readily and I have several of them now. They thrive during the Summer, but die down in the Autumn when it gets cold.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.