Sunday 22 May 2011

I'm back...

Some of you will be aware that I have been away on holiday for a while - which is why I have not been responding to any Comments (sorry about that!). Although our good friend Rosemary was looking after the garden for me, I was reluctant, for security reasons, to advertise to the whole world that I was going to be away. I was also a bit dubious about whether Blogger would even condescend to publish my scheduled blog-posts, after all those problems last week. However, it looks as if things worked OK.

Anyway, here I am again, resuming where I left off. Until I get back into the swing of things again, all I can offer you is a little report on our holiday in the South of France.

This was a rare opportunity for us to have a family gathering, sharing a rented villa with both of our daughters and their husbands, along with granddaughter Lara. The villa is in the town of La Croix Valmer, very near St.Tropez.

Jane and Mark chilling-out on the verandah

View of the pool...

View of the Med from the villa

One of the high spots of the holiday was a visit to the Sunday market in La Croix Valmer. Whilst the star attraction for us was undoubtedly the "Poulet rĂ´ti" (spit-roast chicken), the fruit and veg was also absolutely amazing, in terms of size, quality and variety.

Peppers (Capsicums) and Courgettes (zucchini)

Tomatoes and Aubergines (Eggplant)

The strawberries were beautiful too - firm, sweet and tasty. We bought a big 2kg box for a mere 5 Euros (about £4.75)



Some of that lovely stuff naturally ended up on our dinner-table. This is a lunch you would find it hard to beat: bread, butter, tomatoes, cold meats (Jambon Cru, Saucisson Sec and Wild Boar ham), olives, radishes, and (under the paper towel) a salad of haricots blancs (white beans) with olive oil, lemon juice and parsley.  Dessert was strawberries - but you guessed that...

Some more formal dining-out also took place. Here's the family studying the menu at the "Bello Vista" restaurant in Gassin...




The garden of the villa, whilst somewhat neglected, was full of interesting plants. I'll do a post about these in a couple of days. For now, suffice it to say that Lara and I set to and smartened-it up a bit, and adminstered a good drink to many of the thirsty pot-plants.


Lara says Hello to the geraniums

Lara indulging in her favourite pastime
Now, back to work...

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view and you all look so relaxed but it looks like a busmen's holiday for Lara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a lovely holiday - when we have stayed in cottages etc. in France I have dreamed of how I would makeover the gardens and have to restrain myself from weeding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible view and the veggies & fruits on display at the farmers market looked good enough to eat through the picture :) Lara appears to be a good gardener in training. Staying in a villa in the south of France sounds quite exotic from my rainy perch here in Oregon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely holiday with your family! Lara is one beautiful little girl! Can't wait to hear and see more about your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your holiday looked lovely, welcome back. You'll have alot of reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking holiday, Mark, and so nice your family could all go! Beautiful views and the pool looks so inviting. Lara is so sweet saying hello to the geraniums!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Veggiegobbler, let's just pop on over t the continent for a quick holiday!...or we could go to Phillip Island and try to make it look as enticing as Mark and Jane's holiday. LOL.

    Good to have you back Mark...you are such a dedicated blogger, I have missed your comments on my posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic holiday! The HH and I are toying with the idea of a villa in the south of France for our next big holiday.

    I am loving the produce pics so colourful and delish looking

    ..and Lara is a little cutie!

    Welcome back to blogging land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a wonderful holiday. How nice to spend the time with your family, my dad has always loved family holidays with his grandchildren. Your villa looks fabulous with that gorgeous view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its good to take time out from blogging to recharge your batteries.

    Its lovely to see you and Jane in front of the camera, rather than behind it :)

    Thanks for sharing photographs of your family, your gorgeous Lara and snaps of veg here and there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pool reminds me of the house re rented en masse in Tuscany one year. The local food there was great too. Hoep you enjoyed the local wine too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.