Tuesday 26 March 2013

Tomato containers

At this time of year I usually do a bit of "stock-taking" in my garage, where I keep all my gardening kit. One of the things I have done this week is review what containers I have for growing potatoes and tomatoes. The result of this exercise is Classified information, but suffice it to say that I now have "lots"...

Tomatoes and potatoes need large containers. Small ones dry out too rapidly which makes for erratic growth - as well as encouraging Blossom End Rot in the tomatoes, so over the years I have accumulated a number of containers which I consider perfect for the task. Although they are maybe not quite as attractive as terracotta pots, plastic ones are more practical, since they are less prone to damage and retain moisture better. Until recently I would have said that these are perfect tomato pots:

Photo from 2011


Photo from 2011

However, last year I discovered some pots that are even better.

Photo from 2012

These ones are big (40cm square) plastic pots, with a water reservoir in the base, which can be refilled via a vertical tube that sticks up above the compost level. I described how I use these pots in a blogpost about this time last year, so if you're interested, follow this link: Tomato pots

Last year my Mother-in-law gave me three of those for my birthday. I was so impressed with them that this year I asked her for the same again! I now have 6 identical pots. These will be the ones I use for my main crop, which will probably be three plants each of "Ferline" and "Orkado".

My other tomato plants will go into slightly less good pots, and they will not have the benefit of those really useful cane-support devices. I have searched everywhere for them, but they don't seem to be available any more. There are various other similar devices to be had, and I have tried a couple, but in my opinion none of them are as good. They were originally designed for supporting canes used with Growbags.

I haven't finally decided how many tomatoes to grow this year, nor which varieties they will be. I have seeds for about 20 varieties, but I think I'll try to restrict myself to about six or eight. Apart from the two named above, I will probably have "Sungold", "Maskotka", "Cherokee Purple", "Zapotec Pleated", "Tigerella" and "San Marzano" - but then I may change my mind again!

One of the containers I use will be the new Woodblocx raised bed. I think it will play host to several of the "Maskotka" plants (amongst other things). Should be big enough, don't you think?


If you would like to read more about my tomato-growing efforts in previous years, try these links:
2010, 2011 and 2012 - or just put "tomato" into the Search widget on my sidebar.

15 comments:

  1. Mike bought a new contraption for growing tomatoes in for this year. I need another one as they fit 3 plants each. I shall be growing the plum tomatoes in these new things & using tubs for the remainder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS the perfect pot. I grow mine in a little strip of soil leading to our backyard. Only one (the cherry tomato I'd posted) grows in a pot. Your tomato plant photos from 2011 look wonderfully healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice big containers-wonderful. You do not mention if you are able to use garden soil in them (as you often can in big containers). My own sandy soil is wonderful for my home-made compost where I just add fertiliser and chalk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger; I have tried using garden soil, but to be honest it didn't perform as well as commercial compost enhanced with my own home-made stuff. Nor do I have enough garden soil spare to use in containers.

      Delete
    2. Roger - why do you use chalk? I have bought compost for my toms but I do have a garden full of lumps of chalk, should I add some?

      Delete
  4. Really love the tomato pots! Haven't seen anything like that here..seems I say that a lot on blogs ;-))) But it's true, some things one sees in other countries on blogs and you think..well wish we had that!! But I did buy a nice deep pot today for tomatoes to keep in the summerhouse this year just in case of the dreaded B!

    Cherokee purple and sungold are two marvellous choices as is San Marzano. Sungold gets awfully big here but the flavor can't be beat for a cherry tom. I haven't started any..maybe trade with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pots look amazing! That water reservoir would be fab here as with our summer heat the pots dry out so quickly! I'll have to see if I can get them here. Will have a look around for those supports as well and if I find them I'll give you a shout. BTW, could you not make one out of thick wire? Metal coat hanger wire may work....just an idea. BTW, how do you stop the birds from pecking your toms? Every time I've tried to grow toms here, the birds have a ball!!! Any secrets? Also, should they be in full sun all the time, bearing in mind our South African sun is very very hot. Would just morning and afternoon sun be better? Am determined to grow some toms and beat the birds!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura; I have never ever had problems with birds attacking my toms. Maybe it's because there are usually sweeter things (e.g. Raspberries, Blueberries) in the garden at the same time!
      I've tried making cane supports, but anything I can bend myself (Like coat-hangers) is too flimsy to be worth having. As to keeping the toms in the sunshine, I would go for partial sun, since your temperatures must be MUCH higher than ours. It depends whether you can keep them hydrated, since they will dry out very quickly if the containers are in full sun.

      Delete
  6. Just found these....maybe they'll work!
    http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Cane_Supports.html
    http://www.gardencentre.ie/product/Gardening/Gardening-Gardening-Accessories/75801

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Those "Cane supports" are blessedly simple, and cheap too, but I wonder how big they are? It's difficult to judge from their picture. I'll probably get some and try them out.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mark,
    These supports look very similar- the only difference I can detect is the base is a trianglar shape. What do you think?
    http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/tomato-grow-bag-cane-support-3-pack-893-p.asp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April; yes, they do look pretty similar. I wonder of the triangular base is the same size as mine. They are designed for use with growbags, so would they fit comfortably inside a pot? Maybe I'll get a set and try them... Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Now that's a perfect pot!
    I'm going to try to water my tomatoes and peppers from the bottom this year with a home-made system. Ever time I empty a plastic jug, I keep it. My plan is to punch holes in the bottoms and bury them halfway down in the soil next to the plants. That will get the water next to the roots instead of it running all over the place on top of the ground. Not as beautiful as your pots, but still, I think it will work. Plus I am re-using plastic jugs instead of putting them in the trash.
    Happy Gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are really nice Mark, I've not seen the like over here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you eventually get the chance to use them

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.