Friday 1 March 2013

Shafts and shards

Over the last couple of weeks we have had some very variable weather. There have been some very cold nights (-5C), followed by frosty mornings, and some bright sunny days with blue skies, but also a fair few grey days with a biting Easterly wind bringing flurries of snow. I have made the most of some of the sunny intervals to capture a few photos for the blog.

I like the sunlight and shadow effect in this one, taken mid-afternoon on one of those bright sunny days. The shaft of sunlight coming round the side of the house bathes that group of pot-plants in mellow gold, while accentuating the deep shadows behind.


The shadow of the Rosemary plant almost matches the pattern on the pot behind it...


The temperature fluctuations have not suited my terracotta pots. I noticed when re-arranging them that several have cracked and shed large shards of material.


 Fortunately it seems to be just the cheap ones that have succumbed - none of my favourite ones, or the glazed ones (so far...), but I'll certainly have some re-potting to do when the weather warms up.


I like this photos too. It shows the first leaf from one of my new "Timperley Early" Rhubarb plants beginning to unfurl.


Earlier I mentioned the "biting" wind. Well, some of the plants are biting back. Notice the teeth on this little Pulmonaria (Lungwort) flower!


:-)

12 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. I noticed my rhubarb poking it's head out the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah!... The Viking blamed me for the shards of pots in the garden... now I have evidence it happens elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's annoying that terracotta pots crack. It's annoying that they are so expensive to replace. But it is also one of the things that makes them special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photographs Mark, its a shame about the pots though. Despite the cold weather my Rhubarb is doing well even though 2 plants are close to a frost line. Great how plants adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had plenty of cracked pots because of the weather over the years. I haven't noticed any this year yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark, I think winter light is romantic. Sorry about your pots. The cycle of cold/warm that you appear to be in is murderous on terra cotta pots. I especially like the picture of the unfurling rhubarb. Great color on that leaf! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures mark, most of my pots at the allotment have cracked or completely split also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the post title Mark. I also have several shards that have broken off and one completely cracked pot which I only bought last year - darn. Something we have to put up with I suppose as they do look so much better than plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful to see green growth and sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing to think your rosemary is actually outside!! It will be a while yet before ours go back out.

    Re the shards, over here with our Nova Scotia weather, dare not leave clay pots outside. However, there is one trick a pottery teacher taught me years ago, and he said if you spray the vessel inside and out with a silicone spray, it won't shard or crack. I only tried that once on one special piece and he was right, it was fine for years. In fact, still have it. But don't think I would want it on a vessel that would hold edibles.

    Nice post Mark. Wall looks good. Poor Mr. Badger and what about Mr. Fox?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad I am not the only one with pottery breaking!!! It is frustrating..but I use them until they collapse! My temp earlies in surrey are coming up too! I did the same with my rosemary...potted it (removed some very lanky ones in the ground and made cuttings and put them in pots...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of my pottery cracks too. I was told that coating the bases of untreated pots with olive oil and keeping them up off the ground with a few pebbles works. Certainly all the ones in my front garden that are on pebbles are fine so there might be something in that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.