Sunday 7 December 2014

Some "cool" pics...

Until the last couple of days we have only had one frosty morning during the Autumn. Now however, it has turned very cold. This has meant some great opportunities for "frost photography"! It's not as easy as you might imagine, since with a covering of frost crystals plants reflect light in lots of strange ways. I offer you here a selection of my photos, mostly of Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Brussels Sprout plants.
























From where I sit in our Living Room I can look out onto the garden, and at this time of year I can tell roughly what the temperature is, just by looking at the brassica plants. When it is really cold they "huddle up" with their leaves pointing downwards in an inverted V shape, but when it warms up you can almost hear them go "aaaahh"; the leaves go back up again and the plant takes on a sort of T shape!

8 comments:

  1. Nice pics Mark. I don't mind the frosty weather too much, but hate cold winds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some beautiful images! Great to connect this morning in the cyber garden on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. I think the frosts are going to be a regular feature, they seem here to stay at the moment. It's been very cold today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that second pic. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are beautiful shots. I really love the ice crusted leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It;s that time of year isn't it but I can't believe that you have ice in the balmy south. Love the light in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good you could eat them!
    We have not had much frost so far - but enough for the sprouts to up their sugar content and consequently their taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely though chilling sights. Those brassicas are surely going to be sweet now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.