Monday 18 July 2011

Garden Vegetable Pasta



There are lots of nice things to eat available in my garden at present, so I want to show you a recipe that I have put together, using a big selection of them.

This is what I had to begin with: Tenderstem Broccoli, tiny new Potatoes, Peas, Broad Beans, French Beans, baby Carrots, Kohlrabi, Tomatoes and a handful of various herbs (Mint, Oregano, Chives, Parsley).


My belief is that if you have good-quality ingredients you don't need to do much to them, so I kept my recipe very simple. I started by prepping the veg, cutting it into small pieces that would cook quickly.


I cooked some pasta, cooked the veggies, chopped the herbs, combined all the ingredients and mixed them together, using a small quantity of Olive oil to moisten the dish a bit, and then served it up. In order to provide a bit of protein I topped the dish with a couple of boiled eggs and some grated Parmesan cheese.

When cooking the veg, this was my method: I brought a big pan of water to the boil, and then put in the veggies successively, starting with the ones that take longest to cook and ending with the ones that cook very quickly. None of my veg needed a lot of cooking, but this is the order I chose: kohlrabi, baby carrots, broad beans, French beans, peas, broccoli. I didn't cook the tomatoes, I just added them afterwards as a garnish, and I cooked the potatoes separately since they do tend to produce a bit of unappetising scum which would spoil the look of the other stuff. The total cooking time was about 10 minutes, but this is something that you have to judge for yourself. More mature veggies generally take longer to cook than young ones.



Et voilĂ ! You can't really get much simpler than that, but I have to say it was wonderful. I just love eating home-grown veg. It has so much more taste than stuff that has been hanging around in the shops for days on end.


For me the star of the show was the carrots, simply because I was just so glad to have been able to produce some nice carrots for a change - ones that the carrot-fly had not found. My ploy with growing the carrots in a container raised well above ground level appears to have paid off.

13 comments:

  1. Yum what a fantastic looking harvest and meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have grown some really nice looking veggies! And now to the dish...it looks colorful and appetizing, healthy and tasty, simple yet elegant! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful harvest and meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have gone and made me hungry. That looks just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic and so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark that dinner just looks fabulous! Oh I so want to come to yours for a meal :) I never would have thought of topping it with boiled eggs like that, I'd like to make a similar dish, the boys love pasta.

    Your fresh produce really does reflect all the hard work and straight lines you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic harvest and a fantastic meal! My kid actually eats veggies, if they are fresh and from the garden. It just means that home garden produce is so much tastier and of course healthier. That meal must have tasted wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like the joy one gets from harvesting, cooking and eating your own produce. Very good looking produce too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a joy to read this post! Your garden harvest looks so fresh and edible, even raw! Our kohlrabis are growing now, hopefully we'll get a bumper crop this year.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks stunning and tasty too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.