Sunday 11 December 2011

My Saturday lunch

Jane was away in London at a competitors' club meeting on Saturday, so "while the cat is away, the mouse shall play", as they say.  I love spinach, but Jane dislikes it, so when she is away I often cook some for my lunch. A favourite combination of mine is to put an egg with the spinach:


It started like this - I picked a bowlful of leaves of Perpetual Spinach and Swiss Chard - an unusual treat at this time of the year because by December they have normally been hit by severe frost.


I removed the stalks and kept only the green leaves. The Chard stalks are of course edible, but I decided on this occasion to omit them.


I cooked the leaves over a low heat, using only tiny bit of water, until they had wilted into a soft mass. I then squeezed them thoroughly with the back of a wooden spoon and placed them on top of a piece of buttered toast. Meanwhile I had been poaching an egg, which I arranged on top of the spinach. Some sea salt, a few grinds of black pepper, a sprinkle of Parmesan shavings and Voilà...


Quick and easy to prepare, and utterly delicious!


Of course not only would Jane say that the spinach was horrible, but also that the egg was too "dippy"! --
"Vive là différence!", I say.


17 comments:

  1. Non saucy Egg Florentine, excellent for a quick lunch. I love dippy eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really tasty. I'm a big fan of spinach. I need to try and grow more spinach next year (and keep slugs off it!). P.S. Spicy potato wedges would be a treat with your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, your lunch looks utterly delicious. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jane about spinach but even so it looks good on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe I can totally understand how good it is. I have done this with wild greens that grow in the yard in the spring (I can't remember the name-some dandelion relative)and it really is wonderful. Will have to try it with spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good that I am going to make it right now - I'm starving. Wish me luck with poaching my egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the consistency of the poached egg on top of ur sandwich....it makes me hungry... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lunch looks perfect if you eat spinach and eggs....unfortunately I don't eat either. I know I'm strange :\
    But I can appreciate it looks really good on the plate and I won't hestitate to cook it for others.
    I always feel I'm missing out and I hate that thought....I like to miss nothing
    ^..^ enjoy your playtime ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would gladly join to this treat of yours. I know it is delicious because I love this combination too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious. That's a lunch that I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it grand to be eating greens from the garden in mid-December! That a lovely lunch. The dippy egg makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll just have the egg on toast please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks utterly delicious and I might add, a very good photograph. I don't do poached eggs well, so even more impressed by your dippy one..which is also how I like mine. So Swiss chard heh...I do have some baby leaves out there, but alas, no spinach to speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My wife went to a function without me last week so I made some braised lamb shanks, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I love all things spinach, and your egg-y treat looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos and your lunch looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely delicious combo. Eggs and spinach seem to be a natural fit together. We had spinach (Swimming Rama) for dinner last night and there was not a bit leftover because we love it so much. Well grown and well cooked, it ranks as one of the super foods - good tasting and so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have heard of putting poached eggs on top of greens and also mashed potatoes but never tried it. Will have to remember this; it looks pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.