Monday 12 December 2011

Callicarpa in the spotlight

This time last year I was seriously thinking of getting rid of my Callicarpa bush/tree altogether. It had put on a rather lacklustre performance in the berry department, and the branches just seemed straggly and uninteresting. In the end, I compromised. I cut away large portions of the bush (being charitable, I think this could be described as "hard pruning") and gave it a second chance. What a good job I did! This year it has been really spectacular, producing a huge mass of purple berries, which show up really well now that the leaves have fallen.


The berries are even more stunning in close-up:


And the twigs are already beginning to show signs of new growth, ready for next year:


Looks as if the hard pruning has restored the vigour of this plant in no uncertain terms!

*********************************************************************************
P.S. Nothing to do with Callicarpa, but continuing the poached egg theme from yesterday... Some people obviously have trouble poaching eggs. I suggest you acquire a set of Fusionbrands "Poachpods". You'll never again suffer from the wandering whites! Highly recommended. (Google the term "poachpod" if you need more info.)

14 comments:

  1. The Callicarpa is truly stunning, I'm glad you gave it a second chance.

    Regarding the poach pods, there is a poach pod lifter too so that you can spend even more money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a spectacular sight. It will be interesting to see what it does next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Callicarpa berries are so beautiful that the color can make me wonder as if the color were not natural!
    I believe your Callicarpa thanks you for giving the second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, poachpods are cheating. If you aren't swirling simmering water with a hint of vinegar, then you aren't poaching an egg :p

    Your purple berry bush is just gorgeous... presumably you can't eat them?

    ps your spinach and egg on toast hit the spot yesterday... what's for brekkie today then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali; Why make life difficult for yourself? I love technology when it WORKS. The poachpods fit into this category.
    Re Callicarpa - no , not edible for humans. The Blackbirds like them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is what I call spectacular. Your purple mauve berries put the red ones to shame. These are truly stunning, thank you for sharing, I have never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...thank goodness for second chances I say eh?

    They are stunning berries. Like jewels!

    I think the blackbirds in your neck of the woods, will be packing on the pounds this winter {but then who isn't?} ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Beauty Berry gives me hope for next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful berries...too bad they're not edible for human..& i'm falling in love with those poachpods already...haha..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Callicarpa is spectacular, the berries are stunning. What a good job it got a reprieve. I think you're the king of kitchen gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My Purple Goodness...those are gorgeous. I pruned mine but it hasn't grown so well but ours is pot bound so that might explain it. The cool thing is that the birds only eat the purple berries out of desperation so they are likely to last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning. A good natural Christmas tree with purple berries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Berry impressive! - would be a nice addition to a wreath. How long do they hold their color?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this plant but it is stunning. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.