Tuesday 26 June 2018

First Early potato "Juliette"

This is phase 2 of my comparative trials with container-grown potatoes. You may recall that I planted two pots of each type - one with a single seed-tuber in it, and one with two.

"Juliette"

With the "Annabelle" potatoes I harvested the other day, the 2-tuber pot produced almost exactly twice as much as the one-tuber pot, but with these "Juliette", the result is quite different.

The one-tuber pot yielded 863g, which for me is an Average-to-Good result:


The two-tuber pot yielded 1103g, which is slightly disappointing:


Here they are, side by side:


Irrespective of the weight, these are nice potatoes - very clean and smooth. Another bonus is that there were very few of the tiny ones that aren't worth cooking.


My conclusion from this result is that it is still worth putting two seed-tubers in each 35-litre pot. The yield per tuber is not twice what I got from the single tuber, but the yield per pot is better, and seed-tubers are cheap (17p each), so there's no point in scrimping.


6 comments:

  1. That was a good experiment - I'm growing potatoes in containers for the first time this year, also as a bit of an experiment. This method of growing potatoes is not supposed to do well here since containers tend to get too hot for their liking, but I thought I would give it a go in the hopes of harvesting new potatoes to use immediately from the pots while the bed will provide us with storage potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see your potatoes. They look smooth and perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potatoes look lovely and clean. How was the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH, I find that most potatoes taste very similar! It is the texture that varies most, and these "Juliette" ones were very nice in that respect.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous potatoes, they look very fine indeed. Have you ever done a second planting of seed potatoes to mature into the fall? I only wonder because we have such a long autumn and there are still seed potatoes available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never done a second planting of potatoes. I don't think I have anywhere I could grow them without them being killed by frost. If I had a polytunnel, it might be worth a try! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.