Saturday 11 June 2011

'Morning!

In the Summertime it is no hardship to get up early in the morning, especially when it's a sunny day. Round here it gets light soon after 0400 at this time of year. I'm not usually up quite that early, but I frequently get up at about half-past five. I love the morning light, and I often go out into the garden to see if I can get some good photos.

The flowers on the tall Ambassador peas are beautiful in the sunlight


As indeed are the leaves, especially with the light coming through them from behind


At the foot of the peas is a young "Marvel of Four Seasons" lettuce


The chilli plants are flowering profusely. This one is "Hot Portugal"


I just love that mellow glow... A closer inspection reveals some fruits beginning to swell nicely.


Next door is the one which, for want of an official identification, I call "Long Medium". It is the one I liked best last year, since it had a good balance between flavour and heat. It also had fairly thick flesh; actually in many ways it was towards the Capsicum / Bell Pepper end of the spectrum.


Even something as simple as a leaf of a climbing bean can look magnificent in these light conditions


One of the things I like best about my garden is the fact that I can see most of it when sitting in my favourite chair in the Living Room - so if I see that the light conditions are just right I can rush outside with the camera!

**********************************************************************************

P.S. More Blogger issues? Have you noticed how the pageview count of my blog, and practically every blog in the world, has shot up dramatically this last week? I have been getting about twice as many hits as normal, for no apparent reason. I'd like to think that my blog has suddenly become twice as popular, but this is not credible. I reckon that Blogger has got it wrong (again!)...

17 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, there is nothing better than early morning sunshine. You've captured that nicely in your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great pictures Mark. Not sure about your counter, but mine is plodding along. May not be Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't nearly get the light that early. I am usually up at 5:00-5:30 but it is dark then.
    I have no idea about the page views thing, I hardly ever look at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. Can't believe your pea plants are so big (yesterday post). I had the most amazing raw pea salad in the garden centre a few weeks ago. The crunchy pea pods were mixed with new potatoes, goats cheese and some sort of sauce. Sorry I should have paid more attention, it was so good. I'm gonna give peas a go next year. (Not sure about blogger.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, light is everything when it comes to photography, isn't it? It has been quite overcast as of late, and as a consequence I am not at all enthusiastic about taking photos of the garden. Everything is coming out with a white glare, and I don't edit my photos - if they didn't work, I leave them!

    Yours are quite lovely, the first two of the peas are my favourite. Peas are such a pretty plant, and you have captured the light just beautifully. Good to see you are up with the birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I wish it was light around 5am in this part of the world! It would make getting up so much easier....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love getting up early as well when the house is quiet (not for long) and its just me and the animals outside.Lovely light for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That light is amazing! It is always fun to get up early to see the garden in the morning.
    Your peppers look like they are doing great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must admit even the light doesn't tempt me to be up that early - haven't noticed the hits as must admit after the initial excitement as the blog hit another milestone has worn off now.
    I must admit though it's still exciting to get a new follower or a comment from a new reader.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures. I especially liked the one of the leaf with the light coming through it from behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am an early riser... and have no trouble getting out of bed. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am smiling while reading your post. You must be very excited everyday to see how your peppers are progressing. The cold wind is keeping us more inside the house nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the whole feel of outdoors is totally different so early in the morning. The morning light gives some great photo opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have small balcony which I've turned a veggie garden but I have big problem with small green bugs.
    I'd like to know have you ever deal with them and how?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Neslisah. Thanks for your visit. I don't know what little green bugs you are referring to, but maybe they are aphids (Google for images of them maybe?). If so, you could buy one of the widely-available proprietary bug-sprays from your local garden centre, or alternatively concoct your own home-made remedy. I have heard that a soap solution can work reasonably well, as can garlic - the latter presumably a solution of the garlic juice, in water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've googled it, I guess they're aphids. Thanks for the info I'll try the home remedies...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Neslisah; I've posted a photo of some aphids on the UK Veg Gardeners website - link in my sidebar, or http://ukveggardeners.com/photo/aphids-1?context=user

    Good luck with the remedies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.