Saturday 3 December 2011

Raindrops

For some reason this piece of  "poetry" has been going through my mind today.

"Whether the weather be wet, or whether the weather be fine, whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, we'll weather the weather, whether we like it or not."

Well, in the UK we have had a very strange Autumn. This time last year our temperatures were about 30 degrees cooler than they are now! (And that's Celsius, not Fahrenheit.) We have had very little rain, and few of the usual Autumn gales. Yes, I know this is a generalisation, because some parts of the UK have had worse weather than others (Shaheen? Elaine?), but I'm writing about Fleet, which is about 35 miles South of London.

Having been away from home for a few days on business, I wanted a good look round the garden on Friday morning. It had rained during the night, and unusually, everything was dripping wet. I couldn't resist taking some "raindrop" photos...








There was a frost too, as evidenced by this complex pattern on the waterproof cover over the barbecue:


I keep thinking there's not much to photograph in the garden at present - but I think it's just that I need to look a bit closer than at some other times of the year.

8 comments:

  1. I love the frost picture. We were scraping it off our windshield for the past two mornings. My tomatoes have finally been killed on the first of December and we still have temps in the 60's (F)during the day. Very unusual for us but it does happen sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love raindrop photography but I can't quite make out what the last photo was? Still pretty stormy here with one trellis snapped in half to prove it. Where have the golden days gone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a photo of a rose on our plot yesterday - almost a different sort of Christmas rose. No frost for us yet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love dewdrop. What's the last pic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of people have asked what the last picture is of. It is a frost pattern on the waterproof cover of our barbecue, out on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still haven't had our first frost and we're much further north than you, in Yorkshire. It's amazing that there's still flowers to photograph at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are exquisite Mark.
    Isn't Mother Nature a wonderful thing? We think we see everything but it’s not until we REALLY look closely that we truly see what she's capable of.

    I have a completely different outlook since I started to blog. I notice things that didn't come anywhere near my radar before :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some stunning photos there Mark, but I was distracted by the fact that the version of that rhyme that I know is different: "Whether the weather be fine, or whether the weather be not, whatever the weather we'll get together and wish that the weather were not." My Grandad taught me that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.