Friday 16 December 2011

Did your shed survive?

After a really mild, dry and mainly still Autumn, the real Winter weather hit the UK for the first time this last week. Where I live (about 35 miles South of London) we got off fairly lightly, but other parts were very severely affected - especially Scotland, Northern Ireland and the North-West of England. Some places reportedly had gusts of wind reaching over 160mph, and many places had significant snowfalls. We gardeners are particularly sensitive to weather conditions, and we are constantly worried about what will be blown over, uprooted or demolished by the wind and rain - like for instance our garden sheds.


My shed was a minor casualty in the recent storms - part of the roof (made of roofing felt) was ripped off, and the roof now leaks so much that I have had to strategically place a bucket to catch the drips.


And this is not the first time this has happened either - I replaced the whole of the roof-covering a couple of years ago. Is it time for me to consider replacing the whole shed, do you think?

The shed is an essential feature of my garden. In it I keep all my tools, my garden chemicals and fertilisers, my empty plant-pots, string, spare canes, and a lot more besides. Allotment holders will probably be even more attached to their sheds, which eliminate much of the need for carrying to-and-fro of tools etc. I couldn't manage without mine. I have had this one for many years now and I am reluctant to replace it until it is really necessary, but maybe that time has come...

I think it would probably be wise for me to leave replacement until the Spring, because I don't fancy moving all my stuff out of the existing one until the weather is better, but I shall certainly be thinking about my next shed over the Christmas holiday. Perhaps that is next year's major project for me. I've already been having a bit of a browse around and I have found lots of different offerings, but amongst the best garden sheds(certainly in terms of variety of choice and value for money) are those available from Argos. I hadn't expected this, because I normally associate this retailer with High Street shopping for relatively small items, but they actually offer what sounds like a very attractive home delivery option. They even have a Buying Guide which takes you through all the important points to look for when choosing the shed you want.

Have any of you readers out there got a plastic shed? If you have, I'd be interested to hear your views on them. They don't LOOK very nice, but I imagine they do the job pretty well, and probably last longer than a wooden one? And they don't need treating with wood-preservative!

9 comments:

  1. Your shed doesn't look too bad, especially inside, why not use a dye or stain to smarten it up a little if you think it needs it. Surely plastic sheds are not environmentally friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, I don't have a plastic shed so cannot help with that but I will say that I'm very nervous about visiting my allotment this weekend! I hope all our sheds have come through this week unharmed, we shall see. *GULP*

    I will take this opportunity to wish you a merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a plastic Keter shed we have had it for about 10 years there are much nicer ones now.It has been moved a few times and is not as waterptoof as it used to be, but it is very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark. I think your current shed looks great. Roofing felt while dry out and shrink in the sun. If you keep this shed, using roofing shingles might work better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark - when we lived in the UK we had both a plastic shed and a wooden one. The plastic one was great (no maintenance) but it did get very hot inside in the summer (and a bit smelly) and it really didn't look great. I'm sure you can get better ones now tho. What about sheet metal (corrugated iron) for a roof on your current shed? Just an idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get a good one! We don't have shed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were relatively unscathed too being east of the Pennines does offer shelter. Having said that our allotment shed is screwed to two large fence posts. We still carry tools about as sites often suffer from theft and we also don't want to have two sets of tools. Our shed stores bits and pieces but also doubles as a bolt-hole when having a break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had about 80-90 mph winds but luckily no damage to the house. Will have to keep an eye on the room tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the possibility of just replacing to roofing material, the rest of the shed looks pretty sound.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.