Wednesday 20 April 2011

Dragon-slayer

You remember the Rhubarb that was nicknamed "the Dragon"?


Well, I have slain the Dragon - in other words I have harvested the first batch of Rhubarb.


I only have two fairly small crowns of Rhubarb, and it will be a long time (if ever) before I get a glut of the stuff, but my philosophy is to always strive for quality rather than quantity, so I am quite proud of this batch.

This is how I cooked it: I removed the leaves, washed the stalks and cut them into 1" lengths. I then put the Rhubarb in an ovenproof dish and added to it the juice and zest of half an orange, a tablespoonful of Dark Muscovado sugar, and a 1" knob of fresh Ginger, grated. I then covered it in foil and roasted it in the oven for about 35 mins at 140C, until very soft but not completely disintegrating. This is the end result.


The lovely golden glow is natural evening sunlight, by the way, not a trick of Photoshop. Here's a close-up.


Is that unctuous, or what???

The first of it was served on top of my pannacotta - like this:


Hopefully there will be more of it to come soon!

12 comments:

  1. Rhubarb and orange really works well together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And only a tablespoon full of sugar! It looks o.k, but I am not a fan of rhubarb. My mother used to cook with it and my brother and I neither one liked it! I recently asked him if he had any in his garden in Virginia and he emphatically said, "No way!" We agree that it is a waste of sugar. But I am glad you enjoy it..maybe the oranges help it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, it looks delicious... and a fitting end to a dragon indeed. Did you post the pannacotta recipe? I've never actually tasted it, but it looks like my kind of dessert - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Beautiful! Good recipe too...I have only had it stewed. Must try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks absolutely yummy! So simple but yet, I'm sure so full of flavor! Makes me want to think about planting rhubarb...which my grandmother grew every year during my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dragon looks tasty! Nice presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of pannacotta, but the rhubarb looks wonderful, gorgeous colours after cooking it the way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just come from Peggy's blog where she was making rhubarb shortcake - now I come here and get more rhubarb! I love it! If you have a glut you might like to strain some rhubarb juice and make yourself a rhubarb bucks fizz!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.