Wednesday 5 October 2011

Picking the pears

Yes, "picking" this time, not "pickling". Close inspection of my "Conference" pears convinced me that the time was right for me to pick them and bring them indoors for final ripening. Most of the fruits were looking quite golden in colour:


Actually, the classic Conference pear is not yellow, but mostly brown, like this one:


Who cares what colour they are? I'll take them any way I can get them!

Regular followers will know that I only have one pear tree, and that is a Minarette, so I am not taking in a big harvest - just 11 pears. Actually, I picked 9 today, the other two (bottom right) being the ones I have had indoors for the past fortnight or so.


For curiosity's sake, I weighed the fruits:- 2.16 Kgs all told.


Since this photo was taken the two ripe ones have been eaten served on toasted spicy Fruit Loaf, topped with Roquefort cheese browned under the grill.


This is a wonderful combination. You must try it! Serve it with a glass of dessert wine...

Which reminds me in a round-about way, my pickled pears will be ready for eating in another week or so. I can hardly wait to try them.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Going to have to get a pear tree next year. I got an apple and a peach tree this year and have several others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mark...did you create that recipe?? Amazing!!
    Fellow foodie...Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin; No, I can't claim credit for inventing that recipe. I think we originally found it in a magazine, but we have been using it for a very long time. It's an old favourite now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conference pears used to be one of my favourite fruits in the UK many years ago as a student. Cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture is very tempting indeed. Here, we get very few pears, and they are often from China. So though I like the fruit, it's rarely that I get to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the sound of this snack. I spotted a pear tree in the next town a couple of months ago. When we get a day free from rain here, I am hoping to go and pick them - that is of course, if someone has not beaten me to them. I only want er.. about dozen because i want to pickle some too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.