Tuesday 4 October 2011

Beans, beans and more beans

I like beans. Which is why I grow so many. Not that I have huge quantities of course, just a steady flow of enough to provide us with a supply throughout the Summer and Autumn months.

Cropping at present are the "Delinel" dwarf French Beans. I have two large pots of these, each with three plants. The pots are the ones in which my early potatoes were grown, so they have been very useful.

Delinel
My "Cobra" climbing French Beans are just about ready. Actually, this is the second lot. The first ones were in amongst my main crop of miscellaneous climbing beans (I think there were only two plants of that variety in the end; I lost track when I had to re-plant after several plants died). This batch is the one which I planted in the Cucumber tub when I realised that the cucumbers were never going to do much. They are just going to mature in time - before the first frosts I hope. I think I could harvest a few of them now, but I know that Cobra beans grow very big without going tough, so I shall leave them a little longer.

Cobra
This is the mass of little pods forming at the tops of the Cobra plants.

Cobra
Meanwhile, the second batch of "Amethyst" purple dwarf French Beans is just beginning to set its first pods.

Amethyst
These are the ones in the big tub that housed my Marrow plant earlier in the year. You may remember that the Marrow produced one solitary fruit before dying off.

Amethyst

The Runner beans have had a second flush of flowers, which are just beginning to set pods. They will have to hurry up if they are to reach maturity before the weather turns cold!


My final batch of shelling beans is in the airing-cupboard now, finishing drying. I'll show them to you soon.
So it's fresh beans during the Summer, and dried beans in the Winter - that suits me fine.

10 comments:

  1. Wow what a bumper crop and a great selection of different beans. I've grown dwarf french beans and broad beans this year with great success and very few black fly for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful beans! They are so healthy, too, so enjoy your harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I never really have liked any bean except home grown ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of beans too. I'm also growing them primarily in pots this year so am pleased to see that they seem to cope happily with pot culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've had many beans this year :(
    Fingers crossed for next year.

    Plus this is another comment test, lets see if the problem I am encountering is resolved of sorts?! Here goes...

    Mark - its seems to be working, but it looks like you've added the 'word verification' to your blog, so I may have to go and comment test on another blog that does not have this feature.

    Glad I can comment here now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got a nice selection of beans, each a bit different from the rest. My runner beans are producing loads at the moment and there's still plenty to come. The second sowing of climbing beans are just setting beans so I hope they hurry up before the cold weather comes. I'm going to have a go at growing broad beans for the first time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive range of beans you have. I've just planted some beans for the first time in several years - I've never had much luck with them, but am trying them in a different spot which gets more sunlight. I was also trying to grow them in the midst of a drought which now seems to have broken so hopefully I'll have a crop as good looking as yours.

    PS I'm a new subscriber having seen your blog linked on several great gardening blogs and have really been enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara; Thanks for the comments. Hope to be exchanging ideas with you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just begun growing beans. I have no idea what to expect, but your pictures are very motivating. The flowers are so pretty and the beans must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grow beans each year but its not one of my favourite vegetables to eat except yard-long bean. Rather than the beans, I enjoy bean blooms more. Your beans are very productive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.