Wednesday 25 April 2018

Beanpoles

Having sown some bean seeds the other day, my thoughts have now turned towards beanpoles, particularly in relation to my new Courtmoor Avenue plot.

I intend to grow Runner Beans in my own garden as usual, and I see no reason to change the way in which I provide support for them. This is the system I have used for many years - pairs of poles in an inverted V shape, secured with a horizontal pole up at the top. The primary criteria for a bean support system are that it should be tall and strong, and this meets both of them.


Until recently I used to use 8-foot bamboo poles, but for the last two years I have used more sustainable Hazel rods, obtained locally, and they are 9 feet long.

This arrangement works well in my raised beds, but on the open space of my new plot I will be using a different system. For one thing, there are no raised bed timbers on which to stand in order to tie the poles at the top, and fix the cross-piece in place!

Using some metal piping, I have made this contraption, with two tripods hammered deep into the soil, supporting a horizontal pole.


The height of the horizontal pole is very roughly 3 feet. To this I have fixed the 8-foot bamboo canes formerly used in my own garden ("waste not, want not"!).


This time the poles are arranged facing outwards, and secured to the horizontal pipe at just below their halfway point.


The theory is that the bean pods will dangle down on the outside of the row and will thus be easier to pick - and less likely to get missed in amongst the foliage. Well, it certainly sounds possible, so let's see...

As well as the Runner Beans grown this way, I plan to have two or three cane wigwams to support other types of bean - such as "Cobra" climbing French Beans, and some Borlotti, maybe some "Cherokee Trail of Tears". My plans for these are still fluid, and will be influenced by how well the many and various seeds I sowed germinate. So far I have put up just the one wigwam, which you can see here next to the Runner Bean poles.


Looking in the other direction for a minute, see how little of the patch remains to be dug - just this little strip between the beanpoles and the Raspberry canes. Nearly there!


9 comments:

  1. great idea, cant wait to see what happens. thanks for showing us what you are doing. the new plot looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! If possible I'd try and tie in the wigwam to the metal tripod to give it a bit of extra lateral support - when loaded with fully grown bean plants wigwams can be susceptible to the wind and blown over. I usually have a couple close to each other, aligned to the prevailing wind, with a 'bracing' pole tying the two tops together which stops them falling over but doesn't always stop them getting a bit of a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea. I might see if it's possible to tie the wigwam to a nearby concrete fence-post.

      Delete
  3. The Courtmoor plot is looking great, Mark. You've done an amazing job bringing this garden back to life. How are the homeowners liking it? They're so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homeowners are very pleased to see some of their garden being put to good use. I fear that the remainder of the garden may well slip into "disrepair" this year.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great idea to have the beans dangling outwards for easy spotting and picking. It will be interesting to follow along and see how this works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a design for a bean frame to allow easy picking: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50801.0 A bit more involved in terms of construction but said to give very good results

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was interested to see your X-frame for the runner beans. I tried this arrangement last year, and the plants responded very well, with far fewer beans "caught" in a tangle of foliage at the end of the season. I hope it works as well for you too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that sounds encouraging! Definitely worth a try...

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.