Monday 6 July 2015

Harvest Monday

This week saw me picking Broad Beans again. This time it was the last few of the "De Monica" and the first of the "Imperial Green Longpod". The contents of this basket weighed 1.1 Kgs.

"De Monica" (top left), plus "Imperial Green Longpod"

Another first-of-the-season harvest was this fine pair of purple Kohlrabi ("Modrava").


There was more Broccoli too. These are mostly side-shoots from the "De Ciccio" plants. They are a lot spindlier than I had hoped, but at least there are quite a few of them.


I got another batch of Radishes. They were a bit of a mixed bag - some juicy nice ones (mostly the long-shaped "Flamboyant 5" ones), but also some rather woody ones.


My few Strawberry plants have produced a surprisingly decent quantity of fruit, like this little lot:


As usual, lack of quantity is compensated for by quality.


I am now harvesting one or two batches of potatoes each week. The First Early potatoes are finished now, but I have loads of other types, so I will be harvesting for weeks to come. These ones are "Balmoral", a Second Early variety.




This lettuce is "Ice Queen", an iceberg-type one:




Actually, many of my lettuces have bolted because of the recent very hot weather. It's a good job I have got lots more coming on.

This is my entry for Harvest Monday, hosted as always by Daphne over at Daphne's Dandelions.

12 comments:

  1. I've had the same problem with lettuces bolting, I've got some more to plant out though. Nice harvests, things seem to be coming thick and fast now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely harvests. And a really good variety. Too bad about the bolting lettuce, but at least the heat will make the summer crops happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest. Your garden is really producing some nice things. And I like the pink blush on the Balmoral potatoes. I noticed last year on 6 July you featured the Balmoral potato on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely crop Mark would look fantastic at a farmers market you would be sold out in minutes

    ReplyDelete
  5. We picked our first broad beans last week and dig the first potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  6. My lettuce has been fine but my swiss chard has started to bolt, lovely harvest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those potatoes...yum! Mine have just started to flower, so I'm thinking I'll start feeling around for some tubers in another couple of weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so great! Strawberries very much so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iceberg lettuces are so fussy to grow, they really hate the heat, I'm not surprised that they bolted. love the blush on the potatoes. It seems like you've chosen potato varieties that will provide a nice steady stream of harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your balmoral potatoes look so pretty with their pink accents. You have prompted me to change my views on growing potatoes. I usually grow one or two late maturing varieties mostly for food storage over the winter months. Next year, I am going to investigate some early types to enjoy this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great variety! My radishes are varied in shape and size, too. I thought I had everything right - soil, spacing - but I still have several odd ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a nice variety of harvets Mark. Radishes are a third thing that didn't work for me this year, some were getting to a reasonable size but then snails and slugs munched into them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.