Tuesday 9 August 2011

Unlikely siblings

I was harvesting two very different vegetables the other day when I realised that they are (botanically) very close relatives. The first one was Beetroot. These are a golden yellow variety called "Burpees Golden".


This year is the first time I have grown golden beetroot. My perception is that they grow more slowly than the red ones, but this could just be coincidence. I have also found them to be a lot sweeter-tasting than the more traditional red varieties. I think they would be nice roasted with a bit of honey and thyme.


The other "sibling" is Swiss Chard. It looks completely different, doesn't it? But you think about the taste. It has the same "earthy" flavour.


I picked some in the afternoon, and wanted to keep it for the following day, so I stood it in some water. In my opinion, it looks just as attractive as any bunch of flowers!



This is how the two came together: I cooked the beetroot, peeled and sliced them and served them on a bed of wilted Chard leaves - just the green part, since I had eaten the stems the previous evening, steamed alongside some Tenderstem broccoli.


In retrospect I wish I had sprinked the dish with some chopped toasted walnuts and a drizzle of nut oil of some sort.




14 comments:

  1. Mark, did you use any seasoning at all besides, perhaps salt and pepper? I have never had yellow beets---in fact, I never knew they existed! In fact, the red beets we grew in Kentucky were a very deep burgundy red, very staining and I liked them best pickled. Can you tell me a flavor that is similar to yellow beets? Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, I love the colour of the beetroot cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I think you're right about the yellow beetroot taking longer. I grew them along with the red last year and they took longer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty food!!!!...but maybe somewhat incestuous in the dish. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty yellow beets. The chard and beets combination are very eye catching. They must taste good too. Alas, I have no idea how either taste. Thanks to your posts, I am at least getting to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've grown the Burpee Golden beetroot too but haven't pulled any just yet - must admit that the only way I like to eat chard is to use the young leaves raw in mixed salad leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes substitue beetroot leaves for chard when I'm cooking and it usually works out well. I have to say I prefer the flavour of the red beetroots but perhaps I am just a traditionalist at heart....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful colours on your plate, I am sure, so it is the taste. We prepare chard with cooked potatoes, some garlic and olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious Mark - and your Chard bouquet made me smile, as I have one just like it in the kitchen right now, ready to be turned into gratin for tea with courgette. I love burpees golden grated in a slaw with carrot and cabbage, topped with a yoghurt vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've grown Burpees Golden this year for the first time - and I think I prefer them to the red variety. They looks so much prettier on the plate and are definitely less messy to prepare!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.