Monday 22 June 2015

Harvest Monday - 22 June 2015

This past week saw me harvesting the first of my Strawberries.


I only have a few Strawberry plants, growing in some plastic crates, so I am never going to get a huge crop, but My Goodness they are nice! We ate this first half-dozen mixed in with some bought Raspberries and the contrast was very marked. The Raspberries had been refrigerated, which kills off some of the flavour, whereas the Strawberries were eaten about an hour after being picked, and had not been refrigerated. Their flavour was really intense.


This is another batch, picked a couple of days later:


Naturally, I have harvested more Lettuce this week (my plan is to keep doing so throughout the summer months). This one is a "Cervanek", a very handsome lettuce:


It looks just like the picture on the packet! (These are seeds kindly sent to me by a blogger in the Czech Republic).




The Asparagus season is just about finished. Most of the spears coming up now are quite thin and spindly, which is an indication that the plants are getting tired (and who can blame them?). It's tempting to keep on cropping, but the plants need a few months rest in order to regain their strength for next year. These four spears will therefore probably be the last ones I pick this year. You see them alongside the first head of Broccoli.


This is a piece of Broccoli from one of the "De Ciccio" plants. Unfortunately there was only one piece that was ready (the other plants are some days behind), so I just cut it down the middle and steamed it alongside the Asparagus.

 
Then there were these "Vales Emerald" potatoes.


That's 28 useable potatoes (558g) from one seed tuber, grown in this 12-inch container:


This is them washed and ready for cooking:


In my opinion, this is the stage at which new potatoes should be harvested. These are First Earlies, not Maincrops, and they are not intended for long-term storage, so there's not much point in leaving them until they get huge. Eat them young and tender, I say.

I'm linking this post to Harvest Monday, over on Daphne's Dandelions....

21 comments:

  1. I agree with you about first earlies, I like them small and young, I shall be harvesting my first batch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous potatoes. I'm glad you put in two photos of them as the first one wouldn't load for me. That lettuce looks so lovely too. I love the red colors in lettuce. I really need some more varieties that I like. Maybe I'll find some as I grow my mixed lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful harvest. Love the look of those strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had our first strawberries too - what a treat,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lettuce is really attractive. There are lots of great varieties coming from eastern Europe. I'm growing a Polish tomato and a radish from Czech Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your potatoes always look so perfect! My asparagus plants are only 2 years old so I was only able to harvest a small amount - so great that you are still getting some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely potatoes. I suppose I should check mine as some are bound to be ready now. And you are so right about the fresh berries. They have such a nice taste when they haven't been harvested, shipped and then kept for days before you bring them home from the market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your potatoes are just gorgeous! To what do you most attribute that? I grow mine in the ground at an allotment and, while I get so many of them, they are rather marked and ugly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is down to the compost in which they are grown - I use composted stable manure. Anything high in organic matter is good, so try surrounding your seed tubers with comfrey leaves or grass clippings.

      Delete
  9. Strawberries fresh from the garden really are the best. You are sorely tempting me to grow some potatoes. I'm not usually a big fan of them, but the little new ones are good. My husband loves those little ones and would be quite happy if I grew some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see your successes with the lettuce - I have never had such beautiful lettuces. Apparently, our seeds with your care produce the best results:) All the best, Dominika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dominika! Yes, the seeds you sent me have been excellent - especially the lettuces. Two of the best varieties I have ever grown. What are you growing these days?

      Delete
    2. If you are in need for any lettuce (or other) seeds, let me know your preferences and I will send you some:) Thanks for asking; as I have newborn twin boys, I chose to grow some "simple" plants, so here come potatoes, onions, tomatoes, squashes and zucchinis.. no big deal, but manageable.

      Delete
    3. Oh, how lovely! Congratulations on the twins! With them to look after, I can well imagine that you have little spare time for gardening. Maybe we should do another seed-swap? How would it be if we each sent the other person 10 packs of seeds, chosen as a surprise?

      Delete
    4. I agree! Do you have the same address (Hampshire)? I will send them next week.

      Delete
    5. OK, that's agreed then. I am still at the same address in Fleet. How about you? Are you still in Sobinska?

      Delete
    6. Yes, my address is still the same. So agreed, looking forward!

      Delete
  11. Freshly picked strawberries have an intense flavor that is hard to match. Wish I could grow lettuce through the summer but the climate here makes that difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have blueberries and blackberries but the birds eat them before I can harvest them. It doesn't bother me. I can't create a wildlife garden and then complain when they show up. But I agree that warm, freshly picked berries are incredible. Cold berries don't taste like much, especially strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful potato harvest. And you are so right - harvest them young! There is nothing better than new potatoes :) You also grew one beautiful lettuce. It is so fun to try new varieties each season. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh from the garden strawberries really are a revelation if you have only ever had shop bought ones. Of course, you can get them at one of the pick your own farms as well, but the satisfaction of growing them yourself (with no chemicals) makes them that much sweeter. And I would actually say that your lettuce looks better than the one on the packet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.