Tuesday 9 June 2015

Garden-visiting with the NGS

During the weekend of 6th and 7th June, hundreds of private gardens all round the country were thrown open to the general Public via the National Gardens Scheme (NGS), a scheme that since its inception in 1927 has raised more than £45 million for charitable causes. Jane and I participated by visiting the nearby village of Froyle, near Alton, where six gardens were open to visitors. Fortunately the weather was bright and sunny and we were able to take our time and enjoy the gardens without having to shelter from wind and rain! I could show you dozens of photos of each garden, but I won't. I'll just show you a few from each.

This is the first property we saw - Ford's Cottage - a veritable "picture postcard" cottage.


Like all the gardens we visited, it was packed with beautiful flowers (and therefore absolutely buzzing with bees!). Look at this fabulous rose:


Of course I was very interested in the veg-patch, full of potatoes, beans, peas, onions etc, all looking very hale and hearty.


Each garden also had a few quirky little special touches, like this  - a miniature garden in its own right, filled with succulents and mosses.


Next we went to Glebe Cottage, with its tiny garden built on the site of a former domestic garage. Something we noticed very soon was that there was no shortage of places to sit and enjoy the gardens. This one even had a carafe of red wine and two glasses on the table. Our kind of place!


In such a small space, it is important to concentrate on quality instead of quantity, like this perfect Acer, nicely displayed against a plain white wall:


And how about these Hostas? Perfect again.


I'm not a fan of cacti, succulents etc, but even I thought this little terrarium was most attractive.


Moving on to "Walbury", just a hundred yards further down the lane, we were very impressed with the colour-themed borders:


These pastel colours particularly appealed to me, a nice change from the rather harsh reds and yellows you see so often.


Down at the bottom of the garden was a tasteful little Summer-house complete with bench on which to sit and admire one's handiwork. Notice the open countryside visible behind. This was a feature of most of the gardens. Froyle is a country village, surrounded by beautiful countryside - fields and woods and gently rolling hills.


This is a view from the car-park of the village hall, where we stopped for a very welcome cup of tea. The air was full of the bleating of lambs and sheep! Notice the newly-thatched barn in the distance.


This is Day Cottage. The garden has several different areas, ranging from neat lawns and flower borders to a completely informal wildflower meadow, linking almost seamlessly to the real fields just over the back fence.


A winding path had been cut through the meadow, so that you could appreciate the wild flowers at close quarters.


The garden had a substantial water feature, based around this tranquil lily-pond:


This is also a water feature, though on a much smaller scale! The container holds watercress, and the hard-working little figurine is actually a pump which keeps the water moving.


The owners of this property evidently have a sense of humour too!


The practicalities of maintaining this large garden are represented by this well-organised compost-making arrangement:


It evidently works well, because just look at the size of this Spinach! (One leaf per serving??)


On now to Bramlins... "Delightfully informal" is my description.


"Chaos" might be a better way of describing the inside of the greenhouse. No, I'm sure the owner knows exactly what they have and where it is!


As with the others, this garden had little touches of real beauty. This weathered container looks as if it has been there for ever...


Five of the six gardens are in Lower Froyle, within a few hundred yards of each other, but the sixth one is in Upper Froyle, about a mile away. We nearly didn't go to it, but I'm glad we did. In fact I think we saved the best till last. This is The Old Schoolhouse:


This one really appealed to my sense of order and tidiness; it was immaculate.

This charming little sleeping dragon plant-holder was attached to the wall of the house just by the outdoor dining area (by the white parasol in the photo above).


Beyond the finely-manicured lawns, there was a more informal element to this garden too - a patch of wild flowers and waist-high grass, in amongst which there was another of those lovely sitting-out areas so perfect for Summer evenings:


Is that enigmatic look on Jane's face because I had just said to her "You can bring on the G and Ts now if, you like", or is it simply because she wanted to quietly admire this view of the mellow Hampshire countryside?


For me, as a garden enthusiast, this was a great day out - therapeutic, enjoyable and full of inspiration - something I think we will be repeating next year.

13 comments:

  1. I love it when villages have a few gardens open on the same day, you can make a real day out of it. There were some lovely gardens there and I think you can always pick something up to take away with you. That's a great idea mowing a path through the meadow to make walking through it easier and I love that little water feature with the watercress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to look at it, being beginner gardener my little one looks so immature, still huge work in progress...I adore english gardens and persistence of people who against all odds: weather, position, climate succeed in creating such a wonderful, intimate personal slice of heaven :)
    Thank you Mrs. and Ms. Willis for lovely reportage! Warm regards from Holland, Elza

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did fit plenty into your day. Lots of variety of different kinds of beautiful gardens. I noticed that their sedums and sempervivums hadn't been trashed by birds like ours have

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day! I particularly like the first and last gardens you visited. They were all beautiful. I appreciate you including a picture of your lovely wife, Jane. It is nice to put a name to a face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great outing. I love the thatched roofs. You never see those over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some lovely gardens there to admire all in beautiful surroundings - I think the Open Gardens scheme is excellent - enabling you to have a little nosey round other people's gardens and pinch their ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely pictures Mark glad you liked my cottage in picture 1, Jane always has that comfy come into my kitchen for apple pie look that I associate with my aunt who always seemed to have something tasty in the kitchen whenever I called

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Open Gardens Scheme is such a great idea - not sure if I've heard of it over here (Canada). Lovely gardens, and a few great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely day out ... thank you for sharing so many lovely photo's, and lovely to meet Jane too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful photos! It's my wish to see English gardens during my lifetime. Hopefully we'll be able to travel to England after my husband retires. In less than two years. Will be back again to look at these pictures. The container planting (the mixed fare) is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What interesting timing - I was touring gardens this past weekend as well. Others gardens are such an inspiration to me; I never fail to walk away from them with at least one or two ideas for my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a wonderful way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos of lovely gardens, it's nice to get a peek at other peoples gardens, you certainly had perfect weather for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.