This is my favourite way of cooking rhubarb: (serves 2)
- Cut 4 or 5 stalks into 1-inch pieces and put them in a roasting-pan
- Peel and cut a finger's worth of fresh ginger root. Cut it into chunks that can be identified for later removal. Add to the pan.
- Cut a large orange into quarters. Squeeze its juice over the rhubarb and add the quarters (peel and all) to the pan
- Sprinkle the rhubarb with about 1 tablespoonful of brown sugar (For diabetics, omit this stage and sweeten after cooking, with Truvia)
- Cover the roasting-pan with foil
- Bake in the oven, approx 150C, for approx 45 mins.
- Test the rhubarb every few minutes after the 35-minute point to see if it's done. It should be soft but the pieces should retain their shape.
- Once cooked, allow to cool a bit, then remove the pieces of ginger, and the orange peels.
- Serve while still warm, with custard, cream, Mascarpone, Creme Fraiche, Pannacotta or whatever!