Monday 29 April 2019

Garlic progress report

In the first week of October, I planted 19 cloves of "Mikulov Wight" garlic, in black plastic crates. Using the time-honoured principle of "Plant it on the shortest day, harvest it on the longest" (or thereabouts), I'm hoping it won't be very long before mine is ready.


My previous efforts with garlic didn't meet with a lot of success, but I'm convinced that that was because I didn't give it enough light. This time, the fact that my garlic is in portable plastic crates means that I have been able to move it around the garden in order to maximise the light it receives. Right now, the crates are sitting next to one of my big raised beds, in a position that is sheltered from much of the wind, yet exposed to direct sunlight for about half the day.


The garlic plants are looking healthy enough, though there is no sign yet of bulbs forming - or indeed of scapes. The plants currently look just like young Leeks!


I think what they need now is a few weeks of really hot sunshine!

Just recently we have been going through a period of unusually dry weather, and I have been particularly careful to remember to water the containers very frequently - about every other day.

7 comments:

  1. I’m been the same with garlic and am hoping for better results this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that you are carting them round to follow the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't really want scapes do you? That's a sign that the game is up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm aware, you can harvest the scapes as a separate crop, without detriment to the bulbs. I hope I haven't misunderstood this!!

      Delete
    2. This is from the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm: "Hardneck types produce beautiful floral spikes. These should be snapped off almost as soon as they appear to encourage the plants resources back down towards the bulb. Also known as scapes these can be sautéed and enjoyed like a garlicky green bean or asparagus or even made into a delicious pesto."

      Delete
  4. It's an easily misinterpreted area but most biennials flower when they stop storing up energy (in bulbs) and decide to release their resources to produce the next generation (flowers, fruit, seeds). You can make a virtue out of producing flower stems (they can be eaten) but basically the game is up. Once a plant has bolted it has bolted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garlic is looking awesome Mark!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.