Saturday 22 July 2017

Spuds and Co.

Yesterday I harvested my penultimate pot of potatoes, one of the variety "Nicola", a Second Early type. .


This plant was definitely ready for harvesting. The foliage had completely died down.


I have had high hopes of "Nicola" because I have grown it before and it usually produces an excellent yield of very fine tubers. This time I think it has to take second place after "Charlotte" - to which in truth it is very similar. This pot of "Nicola" gave me 925g, from one seed-tuber grown in the one 35-litre container.


In terms of weight this is pretty much par for the course, but there were more very small tubers than usual, and a wide disparity between those and the biggest ones. I prefer tubers that are all more-or-less the same size, if possible.

Nevertheless, when washed they looked very nice:


The skins were mostly very clean, with only some tiny traces of scab, and no slug damage at all.


The difference between "Charlotte" and "Nicola" seems to me to be marginal, and to be honest I wouldn't recommend growing both simultaneously because of this. I have no hesitation in recommending both of them separately though.

My one remaining pot is also of "Nicola", though it seems to be a few days behind in terms of maturity, since its foliage is still mainly green.


Apart from the spuds, this week I have also been harvesting more beetroot, more Runner Beans and (at last) a significant quantity of tomatoes. I forgot to photograph the beans, but here are the others:

Beetroot "Boltardy" and "Cylindra"

Tomatoes "Losetto" and "Maskotka"

1 comment:

  1. Our potatoes are beginning to die back now. Lifting will soon commence in earnest

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.