Friday 2 December 2016

Hazel beanpoles

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had been promised some Hazel beanpoles. They arrived yesterday.




I have long been hankering after poles like these. There is something rustic, old-fashioned, cottage-garden-ey about them. I have often felt guilty about using imported bamboo poles, but have until now not been able to find a suitable alternative. The so-called beanpoles stocked by my local Garden Centre were a joke - too flimsy, too short, too expensive and like the bamboo, produced in far-away China!


I contacted the Countryside Services department at my local Council, to enquire if there was anywhere in our District where I could legitimately cut Hazel beanpoles for myself. They responded saying they could give me some for free, since they were carrying out some coppicing work in the Autumn. Furthermore, when they heard that I would find it impossible to collect them (no van, no roof-rack), they agreed to deliver the poles to my home! How about that for "services to the citizens"?


Well, the poles they have given me are great. I had asked for 15, but I think they have given me 24 - it's 2 bundles, each of 12, I believe. They are a good size too, slightly longer than the 8-foot bamboo poles I have used hitherto. [I know this because I had some difficulty storing them in my garage.]




They are even sharpened at one end, so they will be easy enough to push into the soil.

I think Beans will love these poles. The surface of the bark is much rougher than bamboo, which will allow the beanstalks to grip better and hopefully therefore climb faster.

Whilst I am very pleased to have received these poles, I'm a bit hesitant about advertising their source. How would it be if all the veg-gardeners in my area were now to ask for a similar favour? On the other hand, I'm hoping my local Council will be pleased that I have mentioned their good work. I have to say also that all my communications with Countryside Services, via Twitter initially and then email, have been very friendly and courteous. What a great bunch of people! I can hardly wait to get these beanpoles into action...

6 comments:

  1. thats a great result they will further enhance your plot too

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are lucky on that we grow our own bean poles. We have two bushes that we planted on the plot and we coppice one every other year. Two years growth is about right. We use the twiggy bits that we cut off for peas and also for sweet peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop making me jealous! How long do Hazel poles last?

      Delete
    2. Martyn reckons the thick ones like yours will maybe do about three year, The twiggy bits a couple of years at the most as they become brittle.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I shall nurture them lovingly then...

      Delete
  3. What a great service, I'm sure your beans will love them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.