Monday 17 December 2018

The end of another chapter

Regular Followers will know that for the past 14 months or so I have been looking after another veg-plot in a nearby road called Courtmoor Avenue (hence my many references to "the Courtmoor plot").

November 2017

Well, after a lot of agonising, I have finally decided to cease the use of that plot. I know that 2018 was probably not a typical year, with its exceptionally cold Spring and its loooong hot Summer (though with Climate Change firmly upon us, who knows, this may be the new normal), but I felt that my Effort-to-Results ratio was not good enough to make it worth continuing. Lots of effort (particularly watering) and some rather unsatisfactory harvests (e.g. the potatoes, which were dismal). I also found the traipsing to and fro to be rather wearing. I'm used to being able to just pop outside into my garden any time I like, doing a few minutes' work at a time, rather than a longer stint every few days. Yes, I admit it, I'm set in my ways, but I've established a routine that suits me and I'm happy to continue it. Today I made my last visit to the Courtmoor plot.

This was my final harvest. Three sticks of Brussels Sprouts and all the remaining Leeks (about 25). Everything else has gone.


If I had been intending to continue looking after this plot, I would have left those crops a bit longer, because they were still quite small, but I wanted to make a clean break before Christmas.


I had one last chat with the lady home-owner and she said she had been impressed with how much veg I had managed to coax from the plot. When I said that I thought the results had been a bit disappointing she countered that the Leeks were at least twice the size of anything her husband had ever managed to grow. "His used to be the size of Spring Onions" she said! Likewise, she was more than happy with the Brussels Sprouts I gave her because they had not grown any brassicas for years, due to the presence of Club Root. I never did establish how long ago the Club Root episode had been, but I think it was probably 7 or 8 years ago, and none of the brassicas I grew showed any sign of it.


My final task was to recover all my own bits and pieces (stakes, netting, hoops etc), remove the remaining debris and leave the plot neat and tidy for whoever takes it on next. Considering that I spent most of last Autumn and Winter digging that plot over and extracting all the perennial weeds, I think I can justifiably say that I left it in better condition than it was when I started.

17 Dec 2018

It has been an interesting episode, but overall I'm happy to be returning to my former arrangements.

6 comments:

  1. It really was an atypical year. We were disappointed with our potatoes too. One thing you have found out though is that you hade the right decision when considering an allotment. Is there anyone to take over from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right, I don't think I would be happy with an allotment after all. As for your last question... I don't know, but I do know that at least 2 other people help with the garden (pruning trees, cutting grass etc) so maybe one of them will take over.

      Delete
  2. Nobody was pleased with their potato harvest this year at the allotments. I did not water mine as there was so much else that needed watering and there is no water on site, other than what is saved from shed roofs or brought in containers. My first plot was too far away and I was pleased to get one about 5 min away by car. You will enjoy planning your garden again to make the most of it. I've already started planning, as it's too wet underfoot at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year I shall revert to growing potatoes exclusively in containers. This method is usually pretty successful for me.

      Delete
  3. like you I prefer to potter out with a cup in my hand and do what we call "a ninja 5". which is a wander about for 5 minutes weeding little bits when they are tiny and dont get established. and do little and often and then it doesnt feel like a chore to be doing some gardening and I feel you get more done. and also you can water a lot more easily as you can have water butts etc and not have to carry watering cans as you can set up a system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I do! There are a few longer jobs, like emptying the compost bins (usually done once a year), but otherwise it's little and often.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.